Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman

Default garage door

My garage door sometimes acts funny. When closing the door, it stops
after about a foot and retracts back to the top. Opening the door is
fine. It doesn't always do this, but it's becoming annoying.

I have straightened out the rails as much as possible to prevent
snagging. I have greased the rails and the chain. I am starting to
think there is some sort of tension problem but I don't know that much
about these devices. Any ideas.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

Since it stops after 1 ft I'm thinking it is snagging- either from
problem with rails/ alignment or unequal spring tension. Try greasing
ALL moving parts first, though, including rollers and hinges. If that
doesn't help, try to watch it several times and see if it appears to be
catching on one side. If spring tension appears unequal(look at springs
when it is in open position), you may need to adjust, though this is
something to be really careful with- it can be seriously dangerous-
many have been injured trying. You could try increasing the closing
force- check manual or online at manufacturer's web site for
instructions. Try these two simple things first- lube and closing
force- if they don't help try posting again for the harder stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich

While the door is traveling downward grab the lift handle and try to stop
the door. Does it reverse very easily? Disconnect the opener from the
door. Run the opener while disconnected to see if it still reverses on it's
own.
Use the door manually and see it it easy to pull down from the open position
and easy to lift from the closed position. It shouldn't move more than a
couple of inches in either direction when released 3' - 4' from the ground.
If the door is easy to pull down manually, reconnect the opener and adjust
the downforce on the operator so that it reverses on a roll of paper towels
without completely crushing it. If the door is tough to pull down from the
open position, look for anything that may be causing the door to drag.
This can be caused by the simplest of things such as a worn out pulley or
cable that came off the pulley. If you have torsion springs, check the end
bearings on the shaft.
Read:
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/arti...oortuneup.html
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/troubleshooting.html
There is also an article on the home page http://www.garagedoorsupply.com on
inspecting the garage door.

Rich
====================================
Garage Door Parts, LLC
973-472-4818

"badgolferman" wrote in message
My garage door sometimes acts funny. When closing the door, it stops
after about a foot and retracts back to the top. Opening the door is
fine. It doesn't always do this, but it's becoming annoying.

I have straightened out the rails as much as possible to prevent
snagging. I have greased the rails and the chain. I am starting to
think there is some sort of tension problem but I don't know that much
about these devices. Any ideas.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

badgolferman wrote:
My garage door sometimes acts funny. When closing the door, it stops
after about a foot and retracts back to the top. Opening the door is
fine. It doesn't always do this, but it's becoming annoying.

I have straightened out the rails as much as possible to prevent
snagging. I have greased the rails and the chain. I am starting to
think there is some sort of tension problem but I don't know that much
about these devices. Any ideas.

Disconnect the door from the opener (do this with the door all the way
down if possible.) Then try opening and closing it. It should be easy to
move and should stay up or down without help and it should also be neutral
at the half way point. If not it needs to be adjusted. If you don't know
how, and it appears you don't; don't try it yourself those springs can kill.
If that works then it is more likely needs an adjustment to the clutch or
some work on the safety controls (auto reverse and electric eyes) Your
owner's manual should explain how to adjust it. You just clean the electric
eye things and make sure they are aligned right.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
GoHabsGo

3rd eye wrote in
Do you have one of those federally mandated safety devices in place?
The photoelectric eyes? I'd bet your problem lies there.

This was my problem. I cleaned the lenses on the photoelectric devices and
everything smoothed out. I don't think you are supposed to grease the
tracks or wheels as it prevents them from rolling and they slide instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

After making sure that the door moves easily and is balanced (it should
pretty much stay in place if you let it go at mid-point), then you may
need to increase the downforce setting on the unit. The door should
stop and reverse when you apply med pressure with your hand while it's
coming down. If it's set too light, it will reverse on it's own.