Posted to alt.home.repair
Alan Smithee

Default Knocking out Drywall

What's the most efficient way to knock out drywall? I need to demo a couple
of walls down to the studs. Thx

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Alan Smithee wrote:
What's the most efficient way to knock out drywall? I need to demo a couple
of walls down to the studs. Thx

Poke a hole with a hammer, grab the edges and pull. For the other
side of the wall you can stay on the same of the wall and push/kick the
opposite side drywall.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

Alan Smithee wrote:
What's the most efficient way to knock out drywall? I need to demo a couple
of walls down to the studs. Thx

There is no 'neat' way to do it. It is a messy job and the rock is
going to come off in small pieces. Punch a hole and start yanking. If
it was screwed, you are into a slow process of removing them, nails
aren't too bad but it is still tedious. Worst part of the job is the
cleanup.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"Alan Smithee" wrote in message
What's the most efficient way to knock out drywall? I need to demo a
couple
of walls down to the studs. Thx

Get you some trash cans first thing. And a wheelbarrow.

Make a hole and then make it bigger. Don't do a lot of smashing, as there
are wires and pipes and things in there that you can damage and cause more
work. As the hole gets bigger, it gets easier to see what is holding it on.
Pull nails with a prybar, or take out screws with a screwgun.

Not a clean job, but just TAKE IT SLOW, break up the trash as you go, and
you will be done shortly. A big shop vac helps to keep the dust from going
all over the house.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

Don't do what you see on the home fix-it TV shows where they start swinging
heavy sledge hammers to take out a little drywall. You could rip out live
wires or split open water pipes and damage other things inside the wall. It
is simple, one guy on TV who does it differently just punches a hole between
the studs with his fist and starts pulling down drywall. Most other people
just use a claw hammer to make a small hole and use the claw to pull the
rest off the studs.

"Alan Smithee" wrote in message
What's the most efficient way to knock out drywall? I need to demo a

couple
of walls down to the studs. Thx

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
Alan Smithee wrote:
What's the most efficient way to knock out drywall? I need to demo a

couple
of walls down to the studs. Thx

Poke a hole with a hammer, grab the edges and pull. For the other
side of the wall you can stay on the same of the wall and push/kick the
opposite side drywall.

Duh- accidently mailed this while sleep-reading around 0300.

Thereputic, but messy. I recommend long vertical Sawzall cuts in the middle
of the stud cavities. You can then rock each section, and take it out in
bigger cleaner chunks. Try not to cut any live wiring or plumbing, if they
are to be reused. If you don't already have one, I recommend investing in a
medium-size Stanley Wonder Bar- the uses will become obvious once you start.

If you want to save the other walls and ceilings in those rooms, don't
forget to slit the inside corners with a sharp utility knife before you
start. Otherwise, the tape is likely to pull off the surface paper on areas
you don't want to damage. Depending on how well the corners and ceiling were
mudded, you may need to surgically remove the mud and tape from the
remaining half of the joint to get a decent mud job once you reskin the
wall.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Excellent technique. That is the easiest way I found.

Posted to alt.home.repair