Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall Tools

Ok, I have to sand some drywall. anyone have an opinion about any of
the hand sander vaccume systems - Magna MT800 Sand & Kleen Hand Sander
System - or something similar?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

wrote:
Ok, I have to sand some drywall. anyone have an opinion about any of
the hand sander vaccume systems - Magna MT800 Sand & Kleen Hand Sander
System - or something similar?

Yep. They work fine if you have to sand. Definitely a lot cleaner
than the dust cloud usually created by sanding.

I just tried this tool
http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/w...all_sander.htm
at a friend's house the other night. It sanded well, but the dust pick
up was less than stellar. Probably due to the undersized vacuum.

I always tell people that there should be little or no sanding to be
done when you're done with the spackling. Plasterers don't sand and
they still get a great finish. More technique and less technology does
the trick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey,

Thanks for the info. They actually didn't ahve it so i went the old
fashioned route. I'm still getting better so my first coat was rough.
the 2nd was better, and i'll put up a third and then hand sand it to
get it nice and smooth.

I'll get better, but the first porject is tough to do a ceiling.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud

I always tell people that there should be little or no sanding to be
done when you're done with the spackling. Plasterers don't sand and
they still get a great finish. More technique and less technology does
the trick.

Let's be honest, us weekend DIYers are going to have to sand nearly
everything. We tape and mud once in a great while, maybe once in our
lives, and little skill is picked up in doing so.

Posted to alt.home.repair
kevin

Also try the sponge smoothing method when possible. I balked at the
suggestion in preference of "traditional" sanding for at least a few
projects, before finally trying it out one day. Now I use sponge and
water for almost all my drywall. The sandpaper only comes out for very
occational situations.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Larry Bud wrote:
I always tell people that there should be little or no sanding to be
done when you're done with the spackling. Plasterers don't sand and
they still get a great finish. More technique and less technology does
the trick.

Let's be honest, us weekend DIYers are going to have to sand nearly
everything. We tape and mud once in a great while, maybe once in our
lives, and little skill is picked up in doing so.

As another poster mentioned, the "traditional" method is to sand. The
"traditional" method of getting water is to take a bucket down to the
stream or well and carry it back to the house. Things change.

One of the most annoying things about spackling, in my mind the most
annoying, is sanding. The dust gets everywhere, it clogs vacuum
filters and is a general pain in the ass. Sanding is pretty much
unavoidable on large jobs because of the speed. On smaller jobs,
usually the realm of DIYers, sanding can be cut way back if not totally
eliminated. All of the home shows, and most nearly all of the web
sites, show the same "traditional" method of spackling. They build in
the sanding operation automatically.

Most people would be better served by several little adjustments in the
standard spackling procedures which would set them up for minimal
sanding, and that sanding can almost always be replaced entirely by
using a damp sponge.

Posted to alt.home.repair
WConner

Our biggest mistake with our first drywall job was putting the joint
compound on too thick. Thin coats and sponge sanding helps a lot.

Walt Conner

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey All!

thanks for the info. I've got 2 layers, and other than where seams
come together particularly, I'm doing ok. the fist coat was rough,
2nd coat is much better and the 3rd coat is going on well, although I'm
not really doing it the "traditional way" as i'm sticking mostly with a
smaller trowel. I'm getting pretty good at getting rid of the ridges
but the seams don't look lumpy or too bad. I'm happy with it, but some
spots might take a 4th coat, but I'm not sure.. we'll see.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ben

I did a search for that same question and found and bought a thing
called Know Dust made by bagkeeper after all the dry wall work was done
I am using it in my work shop works great on fine sanding dust. good
luck