Posted to alt.home.repair

Default BTURating

Hi, Iam looking at putting a large extension on my house. 2 rooms
ground and upper floor. Does anyone know how I work out if my
exsisting boiler will be man enough to heat the additional rooms. I
know I have to find out the overall BTU calculation but how is this
done. Help would be much appreciated.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

Dave,

If you add enough insulation, it will reduce the likelyhood that you
will need a new boiler. Get the guy who will be doing the heat piping
for the room addition to do the Manual J load calculation.

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

general ideas:
where? [location affects climate demands.]
age of boiler?
present size of boiler btu?
here's some dumb ideas:
on the coldest day of the winter with the wind chill at its coldest,
does the boiler water satisfy the house zones thermostats now? what
water temperature does it peak at to do that now? depending on the
system's present adjusted limits, what does the boiler's instruction
manual allow for maximum temperature? is there much room left to the
maximum range?
also on our boiler system if the house gets completely cold from an
unreported malfunction, it takes 6 to 8 hours to reheat the house in
winter starting with a cold boiler.
you will run all your separate zone valves and zone thermostats for
each room for efficiency.
otherwise, if you install central air you may be considering a separate
forced air hvac system for the addition.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus

BTU/H

A BTU is a lump of heat...meaningless by itself. It's the rate BTU's per
Hour that matters.