Posted to alt.home.repair
johnpat patton

Default zap noise in kitchen ???

hope someone can help, thanksinadvance

iit only happens between 12pm and 6pm, strange huh ?

sounds like an amplified mouse trap, and startles the dickens out of me

sounds like electrical discharge but i cant pinpoint it by ear

should i check all the plugs for a loose wire ? anyone ever run across
this ?

im stumped

any help appreciated

johnpat
Posted to alt.home.repair
BP

"johnpat patton" wrote in message
k.net...
hope someone can help, thanksinadvance

iit only happens between 12pm and 6pm, strange huh ?

sounds like an amplified mouse trap, and startles the dickens out of me

sounds like electrical discharge but i cant pinpoint it by ear

should i check all the plugs for a loose wire ? anyone ever run across
this ?

im stumped

any help appreciated

johnpat

You got an electronic air filter?

Posted to alt.home.repair
johnpat patton

hi BP, thanks for reply

nope no air filter except for the one in the furnace which i cleaned

could a wire loose on an electrical plug cause a static buildup and
discharge i wonder ?

BP wrote:
"johnpat patton" wrote in message
k.net...

hope someone can help, thanksinadvance

iit only happens between 12pm and 6pm, strange huh ?

sounds like an amplified mouse trap, and startles the dickens out of me

sounds like electrical discharge but i cant pinpoint it by ear

should i check all the plugs for a loose wire ? anyone ever run across
this ?

im stumped

any help appreciated

johnpat

You got an electronic air filter?

Posted to alt.home.repair

might be the fridge, like freezer going into defrost cycle???

Posted to alt.home.repair
BP

"johnpat patton" wrote in message
nk.net...
hi BP, thanks for reply

nope no air filter except for the one in the furnace which i cleaned

could a wire loose on an electrical plug cause a static buildup and
discharge i wonder ?

No. That would cause an arc and your circuit breaker *should* cut out. If it
didn't, a condition like that could start a fire.
My next guess is going to be a capacitor in an appliance: fridge or
microwave. If it is old and leaking it could cause such a noise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Basic troubleshooting, start by unplugging EVERYTHING you can, and see
if noise still occurs, leave dishwasher door ajar so you know thats not
it.

now any noise tonight?

my guess is the fridge....

If all else fails move the fridge to another room and see if the noise
moves with it

Posted to alt.home.repair
johnpat patton

hi, and thanks again

i unplugged both the fridge and the microwave but the zap noise continued

i plugged them in different plugs now, but still continues

i will try unplugging for a longer time to see if maybe some buildup
needs to dissipate

still stumped

john

wrote:
Basic troubleshooting, start by unplugging EVERYTHING you can, and see
if noise still occurs, leave dishwasher door ajar so you know thats not
it.

now any noise tonight?

my guess is the fridge....

If all else fails move the fridge to another room and see if the noise
moves with it

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

johnpat patton wrote:
hi, and thanks again

i unplugged both the fridge and the microwave but the zap noise
continued
i plugged them in different plugs now, but still continues

i will try unplugging for a longer time to see if maybe some buildup
needs to dissipate

still stumped

john

You could start turning off circuit breakers one of a few at a time to
see if that will he ID it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nick Hull

In article t,
johnpat patton wrote:

hope someone can help, thanksinadvance

iit only happens between 12pm and 6pm, strange huh ?

sounds like an amplified mouse trap, and startles the dickens out of me

sounds like electrical discharge but i cant pinpoint it by ear

should i check all the plugs for a loose wire ? anyone ever run across
this ?

im stumped

any help appreciated

johnpat

Check your smoke detector batteries

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

johnpat patton wrote:
hope someone can help, thanksinadvance

iit only happens between 12pm and 6pm, strange huh ?

sounds like an amplified mouse trap, and startles the dickens out of me

sounds like electrical discharge but i cant pinpoint it by ear

should i check all the plugs for a loose wire ? anyone ever run across
this ?

im stumped

any help appreciated

johnpat

Ice maker having trouble dumping the ice or rotating the tray?

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Perry Templeton

I had a GFI plug that went wonky and made a similar noise to the fridge
clicking. I changed the GFI plug, it was definitely the culprit..noise
gone. However my fridge clicking into defrost mode is a distinct noise,
almost like a mouse trap sound.
Perry
wrote in message
oups.com...
I would turn off a bunch of breakers tonight to narrow it down......

what kind of heat do you have? forced air you mighht be hearing a duct
flex

anything in the basement under the kitchen that might generate noise
like a freezer?

be sure to power back on everything essential you unplug so you dont
lose a frezzer full of food or something

Posted to alt.home.repair
Fred Wesner

John do you have a gas range?

The electronic ignition for the burners in ours would occasionally make
a zap when the humidity is up, even if the burners are off. Problem was
water getting into the controls when wiping them clean. After they dry
the problem goes away.

Just my $.02

Fred

johnpat patton wrote:
hi, and thanks again

i unplugged both the fridge and the microwave but the zap noise continued

i plugged them in different plugs now, but still continues

i will try unplugging for a longer time to see if maybe some buildup
needs to dissipate

still stumped

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Does your oven have a built in timer clock is anything on a timer clock.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Refigerators have timer clocks to go into defrost mode, Our old
dishwasher would click hours after it was done. Turn off one circuit a
day

Posted to alt.home.repair
johnpat patton

wow, thanks to all your resposes

im going to go with the turn off circuit breakers approach during next week

i promise to post back end of next week to let you know

havagudn

m Ransley wrote:
Refigerators have timer clocks to go into defrost mode, Our old
dishwasher would click hours after it was done. Turn off one circuit a
day

Posted to alt.home.repair
johnpat patton

well, it simply went away !

leads me to believe some kind of static buildup, either that or a
poltergeist ; )

thanks again to all
johnpat