Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Galvanized steel pipes for water supply

On 2 Mar 2006 05:36:57 -0000, frustrated wrote:

I just had a new house built, and I discovered they used galvanized
steel pipes for the water supply from our well to the pressure tank
and water heater (about 100-150 feet away). Also the well casing and
pipes inside the well are also galvanized.

I was having some more pipe installed for a gravity tank, and they
said galvanized was the best for this, so they began installing more
galvanized pipe again. When I began to research it, I discovered many
reports of problems with galvanized pipes rusting.

For the new piping, I had them remove what they'd done and they'll
replace it with pvc. But the existing supply line will be difficult
to replace without digging up portions of 2 retaining walls and a
driveway, and the front yard.

Were the builders complete idiots? Or is it really ok to still use
galvanized pipes for this sort of work? If it's not, why are
galvanized pipes still manufactured?

Galv pipes have been used for a very long time and always worked just
fine. Eventually they clog up if the water is the type to form
deposits of minerals. But most last 35 or more years, and they are
very durable, unlike plastics. I think YOU are the idiot. The galv
will likely outlast the plastics.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Depends on your definition of fine. Steel pipe does deteriorate over
time, is more expensive and harder and more labor intensive to work
with. For an application like running pipe from a well to a house, I
wouldn't call steel pipe fine compared to plastic, which is cheaper,
easier to work with, and won't corrode away in 35 years.

Eventually they clog up if the water is the type to form
deposits of minerals. But most last 35 or more years, and they are
very durable, unlike plastics. I think YOU are the idiot. The galv
will likely outlast the plastics.

Why exactly is plastic not durable for this application? It's widely
used with no problems. Even municipal water systems which need very
long life and durability use it to run water underground into homes.
Are they idiots too? And does calling someone who asked a legitimate
question an idiot make you feel superior for a few hours or does it
only last minutes?

Galvanized steel piling Frank J Warner Metalworking 6 October 27th 05 08:01 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Replacing old steel water main supply pipe Pandora UK diy 3 January 24th 04 08:53 AM
Generator Grounding PoP UK diy 10 November 13th 03 12:29 PM