Posted to alt.home.repair
Flats

Default Lacquer-finished furniture

I may be in the wrong group to be asking this - but I'll give it a try.

I have a really nice bedroom dresser that has an almond colored lacquer
finish. I would like to refinish and paint the dresser white.

Has anyone stripped down lacquer-finished furniture? Is it no
different than refinishing any other furniture piece? The reason I am
concerned is because the lacquer looks very thick and practically
indestructible. I hate to get started without having a general idea of
what I'm getting into.

Any warnings or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Flats

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd rough it up with sandpaper, prime and paint. I think I know the
finish you're describing, it looks atrocious.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Flats" wrote in message
The reason I am
concerned is because the lacquer looks very thick and practically
indestructible. I hate to get started without having a general idea of
what I'm getting into.

Any warnings or suggestions?

Are you sure it is lacquer? I've seen furniture with a thick coating of
some sort of poly material and that would not be easily removed. If it is
lacquer, put a dab of acetone or lacquer thinner in an inconspicuous place.
It will dissolve easily if lacquer, not at all of something else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd rough it up with sandpaper, prime and paint. I think I know the finish you're describing, it looks atrocious.

I agree. Unless the current finish is bubbling or chipping, just sand
it lightly and paint right over it.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Flats wrote:

I may be in the wrong group to be asking this - but I'll give it a try.

I have a really nice bedroom dresser that has an almond colored lacquer
finish. I would like to refinish and paint the dresser white.

Has anyone stripped down lacquer-finished furniture? Is it no
different than refinishing any other furniture piece? The reason I am
concerned is because the lacquer looks very thick and practically
indestructible. I hate to get started without having a general idea of
what I'm getting into.

Any warnings or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Flats

Make sure it isn't particle board with printed grain before you start
stripping it )

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Warner

In article .com,
Flats wrote:

I may be in the wrong group to be asking this - but I'll give it a try.

I have a really nice bedroom dresser that has an almond colored lacquer
finish. I would like to refinish and paint the dresser white.

Has anyone stripped down lacquer-finished furniture? Is it no
different than refinishing any other furniture piece? The reason I am
concerned is because the lacquer looks very thick and practically
indestructible. I hate to get started without having a general idea of
what I'm getting into.

Any warnings or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Flats

I spent a couple years refinishing pianos when I was younger.

If the existing finish is indeed lacquer, it comes off easily with
ordinary paint stripper. Follow the directions on the can. After
getting the majority of the finish off, scrub the wood with coarse
steel wool (like a pot scrubber) soaked in lacquer thinner to get all
the old finish out of the grain, crevices, etc. Then rinse with cotton
rags soaked in clean lacquer thinner. Let dry, sand, fill, prime,
repaint. It'll look gorgeous.

Wear heavy-duty rubber gloves and a rubber or vinyl apron. Work outside
or in a well-ventilated area away from open flame. Dispose of your
waste properly.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work: