Posted to alt.home.repair
Old_Boat

Default Geothermal Heat Pump

Anyone have any experience with Geothermal "Water Furnace" systems. Thinking
about replacing the oil burner forced air furnace with one. Live in central
Ohio. Wonder how durable they are. Vendor says that the loop is warranties
for 50 years and the furnace 10 years on parts and labor.

LJ

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jason

"Old_Boat" wrote in message
m...
Anyone have any experience with Geothermal "Water Furnace" systems.
Thinking about replacing the oil burner forced air furnace with one. Live
in central Ohio. Wonder how durable they are. Vendor says that the loop is
warranties for 50 years and the furnace 10 years on parts and labor.

LJ

It is funny you post this now. I just had a Water Furnace E030 installed
last week. So far it has been working since Friday night. The loop lost
pressure Saturday so little heat was available (I could not get the house
above 66 without the unit running constantly). The installers came by and
pumped up the loop on Monday. Keep in mind that the loop expands and will
need to be repressurized during the first few weeks and after a year.
Monday night the pressure dropped again but they will be back on Thursday to
pump up the loop again. It is a little loud, I can't tell if the noise is
the compressor or the ductwork (I am thinking it is the compressor). It
does take time to get the bugs worked out, so for me the jury is still out.

Jason

Posted to alt.home.repair
Old_Boat

"Jason" wrote in message
et...
"Old_Boat" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Thanks Jason, is yours a closed loop or a vertical shaft? I was not aware
that you had to pressurize the system. As I understood it , the system was
closed loop. Keep us posted.

LJ

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve in Virginia

We have a 2100 sq.ft. older home (c.1974) - split foyer with hydronic
baseboard and an electric boiler. The whole systems needs an upgrade.
I have just begun looking into Geothernal Heating systems. I'm curious
what do the cost - roughly?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Our water furnace is at 18yrs with only a blower motor replacement. It
holds it own even at the -25C temperatures we get here without
resorting to backup. This is an open loop system so requires periodic
descaling or else it freezes. Maybe I've just been lucky but it has
been at least as durable as your average oil/gas furnace. Our entire
subdivision was built with these furnaces and they seem to have a life
span of 17-20years.

Posted to alt.home.repair
GaryRW

I'm in Columbus Metro and considering geothermal also. I've followed
this industry for over 10 yrs and have researched it well. So
important is the quality of the installation. Email me if you'd like
and perhaps we could Skype, etc.