Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Pique

Default Granite Tile Installation

FYI, granite tile is tough to install well. You're supposed to butt
the tiles right together, and the bevel on each edge is only 1/32 of an
inch - so the grout line is all of a 16th! Sooo...when you don't lay
the tiles in *exactly* the same plane, you get noticeable edges. Very
frustrating for me! Thank god the original fast setting mortar I tried
set up REALLY fast and made me abort, or I'd have had real troubles
even getting the tiling to be "acceptable".

I'm very disappointed in the job I did. More so than the client,
thankfully, I guess.

JP

Posted to alt.home.repair
hank

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...
FYI, granite tile is tough to install well. You're supposed to butt
the tiles right together, and the bevel on each edge is only 1/32 of an
inch - so the grout line is all of a 16th! Sooo...when you don't lay
the tiles in *exactly* the same plane, you get noticeable edges. Very
frustrating for me! Thank god the original fast setting mortar I tried
set up REALLY fast and made me abort, or I'd have had real troubles
even getting the tiling to be "acceptable".

I'm very disappointed in the job I did. More so than the client,
thankfully, I guess.

JP

So, you did finish the job? You said "abort" so it sounded like you didn't
finish.

I was wondering if it was possible to install tile with a narrower grout
line than the common ~3/8" you see typically. Seems it would make it more
attractive and easier for chairs to roll over. I didn't consider the plane
issue.

Were you installing on a concrete slab? New construction?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

Jay Pique writes:

Sooo...when you don't lay
the tiles in *exactly* the same plane, you get noticeable edges.

You mean, "lippage", right?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Pique

hank wrote:
"Jay Pique" wrote:
FYI, granite tile is tough to install well. You're supposed to butt
the tiles right together, and the bevel on each edge is only 1/32 of an
inch - so the grout line is all of a 16th! Sooo...when you don't lay
the tiles in *exactly* the same plane, you get noticeable edges. Very
frustrating for me! Thank god the original fast setting mortar I tried
set up REALLY fast and made me abort, or I'd have had real troubles
even getting the tiling to be "acceptable".

I'm very disappointed in the job I did. More so than the client,
thankfully, I guess.

So, you did finish the job? You said "abort" so it sounded like you didn't
finish.

I aborted when I first used the epoxy mortar, as it set up way too
quick for me.

I was wondering if it was possible to install tile with a narrower grout
line than the common ~3/8" you see typically. Seems it would make it more
attractive and easier for chairs to roll over. I didn't consider the plane
issue.

When done right, it looks good, and you're right about the chairs.

Were you installing on a concrete slab? New construction?

Bathroom remodel, subfloor was "ok". I should have been more careful
about checking it for flatness. I also pressed the initial tiles too
deep into the mortar, and ended up not having room to play with when it
came to making the tiles coplanar.

JP

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Pique

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Jay Pique writes:

Sooo...when you don't lay
the tiles in *exactly* the same plane, you get noticeable edges.

You mean, "lippage", right?

Yep.
JP