Posted to alt.home.repair
mfreak

Default finishing basement - furnace q.

I want to frame some walls and hang drywall, is there some building
code that says how close you can build next to a furnace? I'm in
wisconsin if it's different from state to state, where can I look up
this information? What is a safe distance?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier

Usually the info is in the installation manual of the furnace, or
perhaps on the furnace cabinet. You could always go to the
manufacturer's website and get the specs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

"Mikepier" wrote in message
oups.com...
Usually the info is in the installation manual of the furnace,
or
perhaps on the furnace cabinet. You could always go to the
manufacturer's website and get the specs.

Right: Also, you should check your local codes - there will be
other requirements, too.

Pop

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

wrote in message
On 24 Feb 2006 10:50:06 -0800, "mfreak"
wrote:

I want to frame some walls and hang drywall, is there some
building
code that says how close you can build next to a furnace? I'm
in
wisconsin if it's different from state to state, where can I
look up
this information? What is a safe distance?

Building codes are local. Phone city hall, ask for building
code
info. Some places have it on line.

That said, code doesn't often differ that much from place to
place.
Here, Calgary AB, code is framing 24 inches from the front of
the
furnace (to allow people to work on it.), six inches
otherwise. One
inch clearance from B vent. Doorway into furnace room must
be
2'8".

The safe distance is code or better. Preferably better.

Ken

You're right, but some of the "other things" I had in mind were
air supply for the burner, outside air supply if needed,
positive/negative pressure control, stuff like that.

The furnace itself will have its own stated clearances which can
vary widely from zero clearance to 36", just for fire code, not
for service. My zero-clearance furnace requires as little as 4"
on the sides & nothing on top of the back, for spacing, but it
requires 3.5 square feet of air supply if I recall correctly, to
insure it never creates a negative room pressure for the burner.
The cold air returns and heat ducts are another issue in
themselves; we're discussing codes, not comfort, so they're not
incuded in my details here.
Basically you have to be certain that the burner can get
enough air that it never starves for oxygen, thus letting CO flow
into the room. And that of course DOES take into account where
it's pulling its cold air returns from. Usually it's most easily
solved by using a louvered door if the furnace is enclosed, and
locating it where there is an ability to pull in outside air if
it should need it (as most furnaces are specced for).
Electric heat of course is another entirely different animal
and much less complex in these areas, but the spacing
requirements remain.

HTH

Pop

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks

"mfreak" wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to frame some walls and hang drywall, is there some building
code that says how close you can build next to a furnace? I'm in
wisconsin if it's different from state to state, where can I look up
this information? What is a safe distance?

I think you have to use thicker drywall 5/8" ? on the walls of the furnace
room.
Go to library and look at code books or go to HD and ger one of those code
help books.
Kevin