DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Power Steering Fluid Spill (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/146232-power-steering-fluid-spill.html)

[email protected] February 24th 06 12:50 PM

Power Steering Fluid Spill

A power steering hose broke on my car leaving a large puddle of PS
fluid on the garage floor. Does anyone know of a product that I can
throw on the spill to absorb the fluid?

Doug Miller February 24th 06 01:09 PM

Power Steering Fluid Spill

In article , wrote:
A power steering hose broke on my car leaving a large puddle of PS
fluid on the garage floor. Does anyone know of a product that I can
throw on the spill to absorb the fluid?

Kitty litter is the best stuff on earth for that, and oil or transmission
fluid spills too. I keep a bag on hand in the garage for just that reason.

You can go to an auto parts store and buy a bag of "Oil Dri" but guess what it
is? Hint: the manufacturer of Cat's Pride brand cat litter is, you guessed it,
the OilDri Corporation. Generic kitty litter from the grocery store is a *lot*
cheaper.

--
Regards,

Doug Kanter February 24th 06 01:26 PM

Power Steering Fluid Spill

wrote in message
A power steering hose broke on my car leaving a large puddle of PS
fluid on the garage floor. Does anyone know of a product that I can
throw on the spill to absorb the fluid?

Soak up as much as possible with cat litter - the cheapest kind you can
find. Pour it on, walk on it, wait a day, sweep, and repeat. Some fluid's
probably soaked into the floor already, but using the litter, you can at
least soak up whatever might get on shoes and be tracked into the house.

Next, a tip from my mechanic, who's got the cleanest floor I've ever seen in
an auto shop: Get yourself some Tide laundry powder and a stiff scrub brush
that you won't ever use for anything else but cleaning oil spills. Mix Tide
with water to make a thick paste. Brush it on, wait a few minutes, rinse
off. Obviously, this would be easier to hose off if it were outside on the
driveway, but do the best you can. You might have to soak up some of the
mess with newspapers.

[email protected] February 24th 06 01:55 PM

Power Steering Fluid Spill

The wax stripper that commercial janitors use will also do a good clean
.. Just spray it on let it set a few minutes and then wipe up.Get it at
a janitol supply or Sam's. Hint: alcohol(methyl) is the greatest of
solvents of grease. All cleaners use it as their base. It has a
thousand uses around a place if you just dilute it to suit your job.

dnoyeB February 24th 06 02:03 PM

Power Steering Fluid Spill

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , wrote:

A power steering hose broke on my car leaving a large puddle of PS
fluid on the garage floor. Does anyone know of a product that I can
throw on the spill to absorb the fluid?

Kitty litter is the best stuff on earth for that, and oil or transmission
fluid spills too. I keep a bag on hand in the garage for just that reason.

You can go to an auto parts store and buy a bag of "Oil Dri" but guess what it
is? Hint: the manufacturer of Cat's Pride brand cat litter is, you guessed it,
the OilDri Corporation. Generic kitty litter from the grocery store is a *lot*
cheaper.

Thats funny as I would expect the kitty litter to contain perfumes that
oildry does not. But I guess one has less competition. They do bear an
uncanny resemblance and I always thought so, but never bothered to check.

I'll whip out this next time the fellas are over fixing something. Make
me look smarter :)

--
Thank you,

Doug Miller February 24th 06 04:00 PM

Power Steering Fluid Spill

In article , dnoyeB wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article ,

wrote:

[...]

Some kitty litters are perfumed, some aren't. It's just a matter of marketing.

--
Regards,

George E. Cawthon February 24th 06 07:32 PM

Power Steering Fluid Spill

wrote:
A power steering hose broke on my car leaving a large puddle of PS
fluid on the garage floor. Does anyone know of a product that I can
throw on the spill to absorb the fluid?

Kitty litter, treat it like any other oil spill.
If you are quick about it blot up and then use
Simple Green on it. (assume you have an unpainted
floor, Simple Green might affect the paint if you
do have a painted floor, but then you shouldn't
have any problem wiping it up if you have a
painted floor.)

mm February 25th 06 01:05 AM

Power Steering Fluid Spill

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:09:59 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
A power steering hose broke on my car leaving a large puddle of PS
fluid on the garage floor. Does anyone know of a product that I can
throw on the spill to absorb the fluid?

Kitty litter is the best stuff on earth for that, and oil or transmission
fluid spills too. I keep a bag on hand in the garage for just that reason.

You can go to an auto parts store and buy a bag of "Oil Dri" but guess what it
is? Hint: the manufacturer of Cat's Pride brand cat litter is, you guessed it,
the OilDri Corporation. Generic kitty litter from the grocery store is a *lot*
cheaper.

Sure it's cheaper, but do cats take pride in it?

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.