DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   garbage disposal does not work (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/146179-garbage-disposal-does-not-work.html)

[email protected] February 24th 06 02:47 AM

garbage disposal does not work

KitchenAid 150.
I have tried the hex wrench (it moves freely), and the reset button.
It's not working. I get the slight buzz/humm sound when I turn it on.
In the past, once, the hex wrench did the trick.
Please help, this is driving me crazy, thanks.

Steve B February 24th 06 02:49 AM

garbage disposal does not work

wrote in message
oups.com...
KitchenAid 150.
I have tried the hex wrench (it moves freely), and the reset button.
It's not working. I get the slight buzz/humm sound when I turn it on.
In the past, once, the hex wrench did the trick.
Please help, this is driving me crazy, thanks.

Take a flashlight and look in from the top. Something is keeping it from
spinning.

Steve

[email protected] February 24th 06 02:59 AM

garbage disposal does not work

Thanks. I just looked at/examined it with a flashlight; there does not
seem to be anything blocking it. The link "news.11407..." did not
work.

Thank you.

[email protected] February 24th 06 03:02 AM

garbage disposal does not work

oh, that link was this! Sorry about that.

Jeff Wisnia February 24th 06 03:27 AM

wrote:
KitchenAid 150.
I have tried the hex wrench (it moves freely), and the reset button.
It's not working. I get the slight buzz/humm sound when I turn it on.
In the past, once, the hex wrench did the trick.
Please help, this is driving me crazy, thanks.

If'n you can rotate it through one or more complete turns in both
directions with that hex wrench, then.....

It's not an open overload breaker, because the motor wouldn't hum at all
if that was the problem.

It sure sounds to me like the motor's centrifugal starter switch didn't
close the last time the unit was turned off.

Unless you're talented at motor repair and can obtain the required
parts, you're probably in for buying a new unit. Sorry to be the bearer
of bad news, but a professional repair by a motor shop would probably
cost more than a new replacement disposer.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Edwin Pawlowski February 24th 06 04:05 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
KitchenAid 150.
I have tried the hex wrench (it moves freely), and the reset button.
It's not working. I get the slight buzz/humm sound when I turn it on.
In the past, once, the hex wrench did the trick.
Please help, this is driving me crazy, thanks.

If it moves freely, hums, but does not start, good chance the motor is dead.
If it is more than a few years old, probably cheapest to replace it.

[email protected] February 24th 06 02:18 PM

garbage disposal does not work

Thanks for the bad news. I will reluctantly get a new unit.

Jeff Wisnia February 24th 06 04:40 PM

wrote:

Thanks for the bad news. I will reluctantly get a new unit.

Think how much worse the news would have been if it was you CAR'S motor
that gave up the ghost. :)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

[email protected] February 27th 06 07:59 PM

garbage disposal does not work

Update: over the weekend, lots of cooking and using the sink, and
hexing it back and forth to help the sink drain. The buzz/humm when I
flip the switch is louder now; it *seems* like it wants to start up.
Like a car that is close to turning over.

sharjonami March 7th 06 12:13 AM

garbage disposal does not work

Can't help with that but if you decide to buy a new one try this
Company. THey have the only disposer treated with an antimicrobial
agent for odor
protection.http://www.joneca.com/commodore-food...disposers.html