Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard

Default Advice regarding purchase of a gasoline generator

Folks, living near the gulf coast, and with all the hurricanes last
year, I am contemplating purchasing of a gasoline generator from Harbor
freight. It has a continuous rated power of 5.13 KVA, and I am hoping
to use it to run a small window unit, a freezer, and two refrigerators
should the need arise.
Do you think that this unit is adequate? My budget won't allow large
diesel unit (which I'd rather purchase), but this gasoline unit has a
sound rating of 96 db, which is pretty loud, I think. The price is
~$400.00, and I was wondering if you all might have some advice
concerning using a small generator in emergencies. I already know to
use it out doors, as carbon monoxide killed several people after
Katrina and Rita, who weren't aware of the danger.
Any suggestions and advice are welcome, thanks in advance, Richard

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Do you think that this unit is adequate? My budget won't allow large
diesel unit (which I'd rather purchase), but this gasoline unit has a
sound rating of 96 db, which is pretty loud, I think. The price is
~$400.00, and I was wondering if you all might have some advice
concerning using a small generator in emergencies. I already know to
use it out doors, as carbon monoxide killed several people after
Katrina and Rita, who weren't aware of the danger.
Any suggestions and advice are welcome, thanks in advance, Richard

I suppose buying a hunting cabin in South Dakota and spending
the hurricane season there is out of the question?
Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Harbor Freight? Who makes the gen, who makes the motor, and what rating
is it. With Harbor Freight and 400$ it is a cheap unit most likely only
going to last 250-350 hrs. A frige needs 3-7x start up load-surge,
figured in to your load. So you must measure what your apliances pull,
but id say you are optimistic. For sound level it is loud, go to Hondas
gen site to see db ratings, you neighbors wont sleep with 96db for
2-500ft. For a 2-3000 hr unit look at Generac- Honda-Yamaha or any
commercial grade motor. You get what you pay for in gens and 400 isnt
much in quality components . Also expect the 400 unit to swing between
100-135v

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
Folks, living near the gulf coast, and with all the hurricanes last
year, I am contemplating purchasing of a gasoline generator from Harbor
freight. It has a continuous rated power of 5.13 KVA, and I am hoping
to use it to run a small window unit, a freezer, and two refrigerators
should the need arise.
Do you think that this unit is adequate? My budget won't allow large
diesel unit (which I'd rather purchase), but this gasoline unit has a
sound rating of 96 db, which is pretty loud, I think. The price is
~$400.00, and I was wondering if you all might have some advice
concerning using a small generator in emergencies. I already know to
use it out doors, as carbon monoxide killed several people after
Katrina and Rita, who weren't aware of the danger.
Any suggestions and advice are welcome, thanks in advance, Richard

You have to get an ampmeter and measure the starting and run amperage fo the
items you want to run. It ought to be adequate, as long as two items don't
turn on at the same time, but the only way to know is to measure them.

96db is very very loud, but you have to give them credit for honesty. Most
cheap generators are in the 80s, and that is loud enough.

I buy stuff at HF and find it is usually a good value. But I would never
consider buying emergency equipment there!

Your generator will use an aweful lot of gas, which could be hard to come
by. If it were me, I would get a smaller generator and plan on running the
2 fridges and the freezer on a rotation. That should be enough to get
through. I would forget about the window unit (I am guessing A/C?)
Just for your reference, my freezer and new fridge take 13a to start. My
old fridge took 25a to start. You can see why you have to measure them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

I told my friend who was going to buy one that it was a waste of money and
would never work when needed. He bought it anyway. Of course when the ice
storm came it would not start.

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
Folks, living near the gulf coast, and with all the hurricanes last
year, I am contemplating purchasing of a gasoline generator from Harbor
freight. It has a continuous rated power of 5.13 KVA, and I am hoping
to use it to run a small window unit, a freezer, and two refrigerators
should the need arise.
Do you think that this unit is adequate? My budget won't allow large
diesel unit (which I'd rather purchase), but this gasoline unit has a
sound rating of 96 db, which is pretty loud, I think. The price is
~$400.00, and I was wondering if you all might have some advice
concerning using a small generator in emergencies. I already know to
use it out doors, as carbon monoxide killed several people after
Katrina and Rita, who weren't aware of the danger.
Any suggestions and advice are welcome, thanks in advance, Richard

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Of course when the ice storm came it would not start. "

If its stored with no gas in it, float bowl drained, gas supply stored
in a metal can with StaBil added, no reason why any ICE shouldn't fire
right up.

Crappy gas in the bowl, especially gasohol (more prevalent than most
realize), is a big reason stuff doesn't start. With the fuel blends
nowadays, anything with fuel in the bowl over 2 weeks is a crapshoot.

Motorcyclists, especially those with kick-start only bikes, are very
aware of this.
Automobile-only ICE users (especially those with fuel-injection) just
don't bump up against this phenomena very often.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Couple isolated thoughts:

Generators disappear. Chain it down. Two chains is better.
You will need more stored gasoline than what you think. Buy gas cans.
What's the watt rating? Sounds like probably 4,000 watts? Probably nto big
enough to run all that at the same time. But you can run stuff an hour at a
time.
Trees and bushes (if any left) help muffle the noise.
Change the oil after five hours, and then after twenty five hours. Buy good
oil like Castrol. Cheap oil is worse than useless.
If the thing won't start, it's OK to spray ether on the air filter. But not
OK to spray ether into the spark plug hole. Ether in the spark hole will
sieze up the motor and kill the thing. This, I know.
If the motor only runs for a second or two, fill the oil to the full line.
Be nice to your neighbors, don't run it after dark or early in the AM, if
possible.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
Folks, living near the gulf coast, and with all the hurricanes last
year, I am contemplating purchasing of a gasoline generator from Harbor
freight. It has a continuous rated power of 5.13 KVA, and I am hoping
to use it to run a small window unit, a freezer, and two refrigerators
should the need arise.
Do you think that this unit is adequate? My budget won't allow large
diesel unit (which I'd rather purchase), but this gasoline unit has a
sound rating of 96 db, which is pretty loud, I think. The price is
~$400.00, and I was wondering if you all might have some advice
concerning using a small generator in emergencies. I already know to
use it out doors, as carbon monoxide killed several people after
Katrina and Rita, who weren't aware of the danger.
Any suggestions and advice are welcome, thanks in advance, Richard

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

And what was his reply?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Art" wrote in message
nk.net...
I told my friend who was going to buy one that it was a waste of money and
would never work when needed. He bought it anyway. Of course when the ice
storm came it would not start.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

All else snipped because what I have to say is important and relevent:

Generators are three things. Temporary, essential and obnoxious.

They are all designed to give temporary electrical to the medically
challenged, the insecure, and the uninformed. People who buy these are of
different ilks. They really NEED to keep something going, like AC for an
asthmatic, or they REALLY need to keep their AC running at 54 degrees
because they are used to that. The uninformed just get them in case.

Unless you get a serious generator, one that has a diesel motor, and a huge
generator, it is an exercise in intellectual masturbation.

Those with rural retreats and remote locations know this. If you are going
to run 24/7 you need to get good stuff. Anything but good stuff doesn't
last. And it goes out at the worst time.

But, who can afford a diesel engine and a high kw generator? Not everyone.

In comes the uninformed. They buy inferior HF and the ilk generators
thinking that the promises on the brochure are true. Ahhhhhhhh, but
reality has a way of keeping things straight.

Bottom line, if you need a generator, figure it temporary at best. It is
only going to function for a finite amount of time, and you are only going
to use it when the other power goes out. Figure they are all obnoxious,
even the best make lots of noise and put out a lot of fumes. And figure
that you will have to spend some $$$ to get one that will be reliable and
last. That excludes HF unless you want a really short lifespan.

Just MHO, YMMV.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Well steve you need to look at Yamaha and Honda Inverter series, they
have gas models as quiet as 56 db, you can have a normal conversation
next to them and not hear them at 20ft. As far as durability they are
load dependant rpm, meaning at low load they can run 900-1800 rpm, that
relates to 10000+ hrs life, I am not guessing on hours, I have read
about many people getting more. Sure they cost 3x that of Home Depot
type, but they get the job done year after year. Look at motor homes,
boats, those are compact long life low watt units for prime power and
many are gas. You just have to shop for quality, it does come in small
lightweight packages. But not from HF.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just my 3 cents...

a pure emergency generator for a day or so occasional use is one thing
and can best be accomplished by a harbor freight cheapie. dont go big
just large enough to run a couple lights, and one major load like
fridge at a time. gas will be hard to get and the larger the generator
the bigger the gas hog. so a moderate to small generator is best.

for long term large loads a fixed natural gas standyby system is ideal
and costs the most. like 10 grand installed but fuel supply isnt such a
issue, gas tends to be highly reliable.trying to supply 5 or 10
thousand watts for a week? unless you own a gasoline station it isnt
going to happen gas stations use electric to pump gas so it might not
help.

Now for the vast majority a in between is really whats necessary.
moderate loads, quiet, to get by while power is out.

Most of you already have the engine, its in your own car or truck
sitting in your driveway!

Its quiet, moveable to get more fuel, and by its usual uses will
probably start when needed might have 10 or 20 gallons in the tank
too!

Add a power inverter that converts 12 volt car power to 120. Get 2
units a small one to run some lights, for while your sleeping, under a
60 bucks for 500 watts, use when car isnt running and then buy a bigger
one for heavy loads it may cost 500 bucks but you can use the car to
chase fuel. trying to keep 20 or 50 gallons of gasoline around your
house isnt a good idea and besides it will go bad just sitting around,
even with fuel stabilizer In a emergency the last thing you need is a
gummed up fuel system from old gasoline!

anyhow I have a couple generators a 2000 watt one its been extremely
useful for portable needs

and a 4000 watt one that hasnt been needed yet.

but the most used is a inverter for my vehicle! and it cost the least!

For many in a emergency just a couple lights and perhaps a radio or
small TV would help so much!

Pep boys sell 1000 watt inverters for $99!

sure its a compromise but so is life! But a inverter helps requires no
maintence, no excess stored fuel and will probably work when needed
even after being buried in a closet for years!

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Hallerb, the problem with a cheapy are several things , first the
motors are lawn mower grade, made to last 250- 350 hrs, sure it will
work but after an extended outage it will be junk if it was used
extensivly. The other issue is quality of V and Hz. You will on
undersized units swing from no load to full load 40v and 5-8Hz, this can
not only make motors not start, but can ruin sensitive electronics in
furnaces, microwaves, etc. These cheapies are designed for jobsite saws
and lights. Even Coleman now after loosing lawsuits state on gen boxes
and literature which of their units need 2-400$ seperate Regulators to
insure you will not damage your home.

Running a car with an inverter has issues, your Rpm needs to be way up
and alternators can easily be ruined. A high idle on a non moving car in
a hot area can easily lead to other issues.
We all are used to clean power of utilities but have little knowledge
or apreciation of what it takes to make stabil clean power, or what
damage poor power can do to our homes apliances.

suitable sticky flammable fluids? williamhenry Metalworking 26 September 21st 05 07:12 PM
Advice on selling Saw & on Purchase of New thumbs Woodworking 4 September 8th 05 02:45 AM
Need advice on lathe purchase. Harry Metalworking 19 February 11th 04 08:43 PM
Earthing Sparks UK diy 10 October 29th 03 01:27 AM
Karcher washer purchase - advice?? David UK diy 3 August 22nd 03 05:57 PM