Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve

Default Choosing canister vs. upright vacume???

We have always had uprights, first with bags and the last one was a bagless.
We dont like the bagless, its to dirty to deal with dumping the container.
Also the belts keep burning up. (mostly due to the things being picked up
jamming the brushes)

We went to sears to look at the upright recomended by consumers. My wife
thought it was very heavy so we started looking at the canisters...

Can anyone offer the advantages or disadvantages of upright vs. canister
vacumes.. We do have stairs.

Thanks

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Steve" wrote in message
Can anyone offer the advantages or disadvantages of upright vs. canister
vacumes.. We do have stairs.

Canister is usually better for stairs. Otherwise, both can clean well. We
have both. I have no preference for normal carpet sweeping.

Posted to alt.home.repair
professorpaul

For upright, we prefer the Orek. For a canister, the "Dirt Devil."
Rugs, etc. for the upright. Canister great for stair, cars, shop work,
small and awkward spaces. You really need both kinds, IMHO.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Drackman

"professorpaul" wrote in message
ups.com...
For upright, we prefer the Orek. For a canister, the "Dirt Devil."
Rugs, etc. for the upright. Canister great for stair, cars, shop work,
small and awkward spaces. You really need both kinds, IMHO.

I am always on a search for the perfect carpeted stair cleaning tool. Any
suggestions? I have two uprights, Hover Windtunnel and Dyson. I am not
happy with either on the stairs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

I prefer cannister with power nozzle for stairs. Hoover has a new Z design
at Sears optimized for stairs but weight distribution seems awkward for
normal cleaning.

"Frank Drackman" wrote in message
. ..

"professorpaul" wrote in message
ups.com...
For upright, we prefer the Orek. For a canister, the "Dirt Devil."
Rugs, etc. for the upright. Canister great for stair, cars, shop work,
small and awkward spaces. You really need both kinds, IMHO.

I am always on a search for the perfect carpeted stair cleaning tool. Any
suggestions? I have two uprights, Hover Windtunnel and Dyson. I am not
happy with either on the stairs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Frank Drackman" wrote in message

I have two uprights, Hover Windtunnel and Dyson. I am not happy with
either on the stairs.

Stairs aside, how do you like the Dyson? I wonder if it is really as good
as he says or just a bunch of fancy advertising.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Squanklin

We bought a Eureka "The Boss" Smartvac (upright) a few months ago.
While we don't have carpeted stairs, the vacuum comes with a "power
paw" attachment for the hose that works wonders on the sofa - gets all
the dog hair off in a jiffy. It might work well for you on the stairs.

We've been most pleased in all respects with this unit.

Good luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

"professorpaul" wrote in message

For upright, we prefer the Orek. For a canister, the "Dirt Devil."
Rugs, etc. for the upright. Canister great for stair, cars, shop work,
small and awkward spaces. You really need both kinds, IMHO.

I hate to buy two of anything, but have to agree that you almost need both.
Canister is the more versatile of the two. Canister, if a good one, will
have much better suction and come with more tools. My Kannmore canister is
30 years old and still works very well. Current uprights (from WalMart)
last a year, if you're not careful with them, Dyson sucks - the hose is so
cheap it wore out in 6 months (my neighbor had one).

For years I owned only a canister, but recently got a broken upright, which
I fixed. It's a lot easier to do a quick sweep with it.

One point that is rarely made about vacuum cleaners. The upright makes much
smaller dust cloud, when in use. This may be important, if you're allergic
to dust.

The exhaust port on a canister is almost at the floor level. If you start
in the middle of a dirty floor, you're blowing air on duty floor.
Exhaust on the upright is much higher off the floor and better diffused.

Studies have been done to show this, but rarely mentioned.

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair
chicagofan

Squanklin wrote:

We bought a Eureka "The Boss" Smartvac (upright) a few months ago.
While we don't have carpeted stairs, the vacuum comes with a "power
paw" attachment for the hose that works wonders on the sofa - gets all
the dog hair off in a jiffy. It might work well for you on the stairs.

We've been most pleased in all respects with this unit.

Does it sound like a 747 [airplane] engine in your house? :\ My current
upright is a Eureka, and you need ear plugs to use it. I keep looking for a
replacement that is rated as "quiet"... or at least "quieter" than others.
bj

Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman

Steve, 2/17/2006,4:16:29 PM, wrote:

We have always had uprights, first with bags and the last one was a
bagless. We dont like the bagless, its to dirty to deal with dumping
the container. Also the belts keep burning up. (mostly due to the
things being picked up jamming the brushes)

We went to sears to look at the upright recomended by consumers. My
wife thought it was very heavy so we started looking at the
canisters...

Can anyone offer the advantages or disadvantages of upright vs.
canister vacumes.. We do have stairs.

Thanks

Steve

Make sure you also consider storage space for vacuum cleaner.

--
"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts."
~ Will Rogers