Posted to alt.home.repair
jim

Default circut Breaker box

We have a 1936 5 room house with a 100 amp service w/ circut breakers.
We wil be updating to 200amps service soom. Down the road it
probability 2 rooms add to the house 1 of witch will a bedroom the
other will be a family room (computer). My big question is what to
look at having to done in line of the fuse box or electric work

thanks
jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"jim" wrote in message
ps.com...
We have a 1936 5 room house with a 100 amp service w/ circut breakers.
We wil be updating to 200amps service soom. Down the road it
probability 2 rooms add to the house 1 of witch will a bedroom the
other will be a family room (computer). My big question is what to
look at having to done in line of the fuse box or electric work

thanks
jim

circa 1936 is probably BX cable odds of a grounding conductor are not good.
Computers and sensitive electronics do better on dedicated circuits with a
ground.

Check with your building officials to see what your getting yourself into.
Some areas will let you change the service and a few circuits. One that I
know of requires a upgrade to current code.

Do you need surge protection? Lightning protection?
Have the grounding measured, below 10 ohms is better than the min required
of 25 ohms.
My service measures less than 5 ohms. That took a bit of doing. My
electronics are expensive.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

On 11 Feb 2006 07:07:00 -0800, "jim" wrote:

We have a 1936 5 room house with a 100 amp service w/ circut breakers.
We wil be updating to 200amps service soom. Down the road it
probability 2 rooms add to the house 1 of witch will a bedroom the
other will be a family room (computer). My big question is what to
look at having to done in line of the fuse box or electric work

thanks
jim

Hi Jim,

Sorry to repy with a question, but why are you upgrading?

Are you working under the advice of an electrician who is trying to
SELL you something?

Do you have a service calc?

later,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Boettcher

On 11 Feb 2006 07:07:00 -0800, "jim" wrote:

We have a 1936 5 room house with a 100 amp service w/ circut breakers.
We wil be updating to 200amps service soom. Down the road it
probability 2 rooms add to the house 1 of witch will a bedroom the
other will be a family room (computer). My big question is what to
look at having to done in line of the fuse box or electric work

thanks
jim

If, in the process of pulling the panel and replacing it with a larger
200 amp panel gives you access to wire runs, you should at a minimum
run romex to a point that would facilitate the new rooms. Even if you
just leave it coiled in the attic or basement depending on your
situation.

It is very easy to come back and add circuit breakers later on and tie
them in. The difficult part is in running the romex.