Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CLUNKA-CLUNK-clunk-CLUNK

Water in Arizona is alkaline,
with a high dissolved miineral content.

The minerals settle out, and form a cement-like coat.

As new residents, we're just
getting used to the clunk-clunk-clunk
of the water heater.

Flushing won't touch the mineral coat that builds up.

Just live with it ??

Will it shorten the life of the ( gas ) water heater ?

What to do ?? what to do ?

rj
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Some brands of water heater have "handholes", where you can drain the water
heater, open the handhole, reach in and clean out the sediment, and close
the handhole. I can't remember seeing a residential gas water heater with
them.

"RJ" wrote in message
Water in Arizona is alkaline,
with a high dissolved miineral content.

The minerals settle out, and form a cement-like coat.

As new residents, we're just
getting used to the clunk-clunk-clunk
of the water heater.

Flushing won't touch the mineral coat that builds up.

Just live with it ??

Will it shorten the life of the ( gas ) water heater ?

What to do ?? what to do ?

rj

Posted to alt.home.repair

tanks do that boiling sound here too. I used to drain them but quit
after having a drain valve not close.

it didnt matter the hard water deposits dont come out with draining. i
was told the noise doesnt effect tank life and believe it.

my best friends 6 year guarantee tank has been noisey since year 2, and
its now 13 years old. its well past time to fail

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

If you get too much build up on the bottom and not enough water, the heat
from the burner can crack the metal.

wrote in message
ups.com...
tanks do that boiling sound here too. I used to drain them but quit
after having a drain valve not close.

it didnt matter the hard water deposits dont come out with draining. i
was told the noise doesnt effect tank life and believe it.

my best friends 6 year guarantee tank has been noisey since year 2, and
its now 13 years old. its well past time to fail

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 15:38:24 -0700, "RJ"
wrote:

Water in Arizona is alkaline,
with a high dissolved miineral content.

The minerals settle out, and form a cement-like coat.

As new residents, we're just
getting used to the clunk-clunk-clunk
of the water heater.

Flushing won't touch the mineral coat that builds up.

Just live with it ??

Will it shorten the life of the ( gas ) water heater ?

What to do ?? what to do ?

Ask your neighbors. It's a good way to get to know them.

Ask tactfully so they won't feel like dummies if they never even
thought about it. Won't make friends if you make them feel like
dummies.

Even after you get good answers, ask the other neighbors other
questions. People should get to knwo their neighbors.

rj

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
clifto

RJ wrote:
As new residents, we're just
getting used to the clunk-clunk-clunk
of the water heater.

When we moved into our new place, the heater did that. Also made boiling
noises as it heated. I replaced it without question and haven't given a
second thought to it.

--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

RJ wrote:
Water in Arizona is alkaline,
with a high dissolved miineral content.

The minerals settle out, and form a cement-like coat.

As new residents, we're just
getting used to the clunk-clunk-clunk
of the water heater.

Flushing won't touch the mineral coat that builds up.

Just live with it ??

Will it shorten the life of the ( gas ) water heater ?

What to do ?? what to do ?

rj

The solution is a water softener upstream of the hot water tank. Water
softener changes the chemical composition of the minerals, making the
water much less alkaline and trapping the minerals themselves on the
resin in the softener.