Posted to alt.home.repair
MB

Default Electrical Permits in NJ

I went to apply for my permits today to add the new bathroom to the
house. The house is a twin (aka duplex). The building inspector told
me that since the house is a duplex, I can't do my own electrical work
(even though the the state code says specifies that homeowners can do
there own work in residential structures). Anyone in NJ ever hear of
this? His reason is that "there is no problem with you burning down
your own house, but they wont let you bring down the house attached to
you". I now have to go find an electricial to sign the electrical
permit application, which isn't a big deal since I work with a bunch of

electricians.

Oddly, the plumbing inspector has no problem with me doing the plumbing

(and potentially flooding my attached neighbors out!) and approved my
plumbing plans.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Could be a local code. Do the work yourself and get an electrician to get
the permits.

"MB" wrote in message
oups.com...
I went to apply for my permits today to add the new bathroom to the
house. The house is a twin (aka duplex). The building inspector told
me that since the house is a duplex, I can't do my own electrical work
(even though the the state code says specifies that homeowners can do
there own work in residential structures). Anyone in NJ ever hear of
this? His reason is that "there is no problem with you burning down
your own house, but they wont let you bring down the house attached to
you". I now have to go find an electricial to sign the electrical
permit application, which isn't a big deal since I work with a bunch of

electricians.

Oddly, the plumbing inspector has no problem with me doing the plumbing

(and potentially flooding my attached neighbors out!) and approved my
plumbing plans.

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

"MB" wrote in message
oups.com...
I went to apply for my permits today to add the new bathroom to the
house. The house is a twin (aka duplex). The building inspector told
me that since the house is a duplex, I can't do my own electrical work
(even though the the state code says specifies that homeowners can do
there own work in residential structures). Anyone in NJ ever hear of
this? His reason is that "there is no problem with you burning down
your own house, but they wont let you bring down the house attached to
you". I now have to go find an electricial to sign the electrical
permit application, which isn't a big deal since I work with a bunch of

electricians.

Oddly, the plumbing inspector has no problem with me doing the plumbing

(and potentially flooding my attached neighbors out!) and approved my
plumbing plans.

That is correct. A homeowner in New Jersey can only do electrical work on
the single family house that he/she lives in. If it is a single family house
that you rent out to others or a multi-family house or building, a licensed
electrical contractor must do the work. Don't count on doing the work
yourself and having a licensed electrical contractor sign off on it later.
Most will not do that. If you want to save some money try to find a
contractor that will work with you or allow you to assist him before you
start the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

The electrical contractor who's name is on the permit is completely liable
for the work done. These days only a fool would take that risk, however like
John suggests, especially smaller companies will allow you to help, at least
do the grunt work. Having a job inspected and having a certificate of
compliance means little if the house burns

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"MB" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
BRIAN MEEHAN

I used to live in NJ I didnt own a duplex but I did all my electrical work
with permits the code official went over my work with a fine tooth comb and
signed off on them I dont understand why a duplex would be diffrent since it
still needs to be inspected also after it is signed off by the code official
it doesnt matter who did the work the inspector should be the one held
liable. I would go talk to the electrical inspector and tell him what you
want to do.
"MB" wrote in message
oups.com...
I went to apply for my permits today to add the new bathroom to the
house. The house is a twin (aka duplex). The building inspector told
me that since the house is a duplex, I can't do my own electrical work
(even though the the state code says specifies that homeowners can do
there own work in residential structures). Anyone in NJ ever hear of
this? His reason is that "there is no problem with you burning down
your own house, but they wont let you bring down the house attached to
you". I now have to go find an electricial to sign the electrical
permit application, which isn't a big deal since I work with a bunch of

electricians.

Oddly, the plumbing inspector has no problem with me doing the plumbing

(and potentially flooding my attached neighbors out!) and approved my
plumbing plans.

"MB" wrote in message
oups.com...
I went to apply for my permits today to add the new bathroom to the
house. The house is a twin (aka duplex). The building inspector told
me that since the house is a duplex, I can't do my own electrical work
(even though the the state code says specifies that homeowners can do
there own work in residential structures). Anyone in NJ ever hear of
this? His reason is that "there is no problem with you burning down
your own house, but they wont let you bring down the house attached to
you". I now have to go find an electricial to sign the electrical
permit application, which isn't a big deal since I work with a bunch of

electricians.

Oddly, the plumbing inspector has no problem with me doing the plumbing

(and potentially flooding my attached neighbors out!) and approved my
plumbing plans.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The house is a twin (aka duplex). The building inspector told
me that since the house is a duplex, I can't do my own electrical work
(even though the the state code says specifies that homeowners can do
there own work in residential structures). Anyone in NJ ever hear of
this?

Yes, that is correct. There is also, I believe, some differences in
electrical code minimum requirements for singe vs. multi-occupancy
buildings.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Brad Bruce

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in news:aa2Ef.1216$uw2.978
@fe08.lga:

Having a job inspected and having a certificate of
compliance means little if the house burns

It means the world when it comes to filing an insurance claim.

Brad (NJ)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Here (midwest US) it's stricter, at least in this city you can't do
your own work on a multi irrespective of whether you live in it.
People still do it of course. Being able to do your own pb makes
sense, as opposed to electrical, HVAC, load bearing stuff. You
probably can't run gas lines though that is technically a plumbing job.

Better safe than sorry vis-a-vis getting sued out the wazoo.

Even with electrical plate insulators, cold air is leaking thru... bd420 Home Repair 7 December 21st 05 09:02 PM
Do they make white electrical tape? Harry Everhart Home Repair 6 June 16th 05 06:02 AM
Easiest way to ground a computer? Julie P. Home Repair 66 May 11th 05 06:10 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Installing Ceiling Fan with Red wire on electrical box. Josh Home Repair 20 July 31st 03 11:53 AM