Posted to alt.home.repair
kcanderson

Default Reposition and adding new support poles

I am in the process of finishing my basement.

I currently have a 40 foot steel I beam being supported by a poured
concrete foundation and 3 support poles to support the first floor of
my home. One support pole is in an undesirable location for the
designed floor plan.

I plan to replace the one support pole with two to correct this
situation. The total span between the foundation and pole positions
will not exceed 13 feet. I will be setting new footings for the two
new poles being considered.

If done correctly will this repositioned and additional pole
configuration cause any problems or harm to my home. What else should
I beware of in considering this solution?

Posted to alt.home.repair

One needs to know what is being supported by the beam and column
arrangement.
I suggest a structural engineer.
The fee would be cheap insurance.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"kcanderson" wrote in message
I currently have a 40 foot steel I beam being supported by a poured
concrete foundation and 3 support poles to support the first floor of
my home. One support pole is in an undesirable location for the
designed floor plan.

If done correctly will this repositioned and additional pole
configuration cause any problems or harm to my home. What else should
I beware of in considering this solution?

You need an engineer to answer that. He must know the beam size and the
load it is supporting. You don't give any of that information so anyone
here would just be guessing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

"kcanderson" wrote in message
news :I am in the process of finishing my basement.
:
[...]
As a couple of people have indicated, you should have a pro look
at the situation to be positive; that's a bigf investment you're
working in. Sometimes "poles" have to be directly under the
loads, sometimes not, stresses along the Ibeam aren't necessarily
equal by any means, plus you haven't mentioned what's under the
floor where you plan to put the new beams; it might be just a few
inches of cement?

Or, I'd opt to make the problem pole a feature of the room
somehow with some out-of-box thinking to work it into the
overall. Perfection sometimes requires concessions in favor of
function. I saw a house in Chgo once with a SLATE pool table
that had a "pole" through it, right dead center. A newer game of
pool, but fun none the less.

HTH,

Pop

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

You may need no supports or you may need more, only an engineer or
architect can say. I sized a steel beam replacement that allowerd the
removal of 3 supports, one every 8 feet. Go with less only if you take
exact spot measurements of floor to ceiling on every floor and monitor
it for a year or more and every year to see if settling occurs,
enginers-architects will over size you to not be liable. You might be
oversized but who knows.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Go with less only if you take
exact spot measurements of floor to ceiling on every floor and monitor
it for a year or more and every year to see if settling occurs,
enginers-architects will over size you to not be liable. You might be
oversized but who knows. "

That's real reassuring!