Posted to alt.home.repair
Patrick Holzer

Default Kitchen counter grout question

We have solide surface counters and ceramic tile backsplashes. The
joints where the counter meet the tile are grouted and are cracking.
Almost along every joint on every counter surface. The grout is about
6 months old and have been sealed.

I am assuming this is common and due to moisture, surface flexing,
heat, etc. The question is: Is there anything I can do to keep this
from happening?

Thanks,
Patrick
Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Patrick Holzer" wrote in message
We have solide surface counters and ceramic tile backsplashes. The
joints where the counter meet the tile are grouted and are cracking.
Almost along every joint on every counter surface. The grout is about
6 months old and have been sealed.

I am assuming this is common and due to moisture, surface flexing,
heat, etc. The question is: Is there anything I can do to keep this
from happening?

Thanks,
Patrick

Not common in my experience. Was non sanded grout used? (showers)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pawel

I have exactly the same problem I used sanded grout to fill the gap between
the countertop and backsplash .. it cracked, then i filled the newly formed
gap with non sanded grout and it is cracking again, i did not seal it, is
there any sealer i could apply now? maybe epoxy????

"Patrick Holzer" wrote in message
We have solide surface counters and ceramic tile backsplashes. The
joints where the counter meet the tile are grouted and are cracking.
Almost along every joint on every counter surface. The grout is about
6 months old and have been sealed.

I am assuming this is common and due to moisture, surface flexing,
heat, etc. The question is: Is there anything I can do to keep this
from happening?

Thanks,
Patrick

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cliff Hartle

Sealer is not going to make the grout stick to the solid surface material.
What makes solid surface so great is that things don't stick to it very well
especially a portland cement based product such as grout.

I can't imagine that an installer would grout the joint and expect it to
work. The joint is generally filled with silicon caulking because it has to
flex. The best way is to leave the joint unfilled so when the caulk is
applied it fills the joint and creates a better joint.

The big problem that you are going have is finding matching caulk. Some
grout manufactures make matching caulk its not silicon but it would flex
better than grout (which doesn't flex at all). Every time I have been given
the choice of grout color I always pick a grout that has a matching caulk.

"Patrick Holzer" wrote in message
We have solide surface counters and ceramic tile backsplashes. The
joints where the counter meet the tile are grouted and are cracking.
Almost along every joint on every counter surface. The grout is about
6 months old and have been sealed.

I am assuming this is common and due to moisture, surface flexing,
heat, etc. The question is: Is there anything I can do to keep this
from happening?

Thanks,
Patrick

Posted to alt.home.repair
Evo

Patrick Holzer wrote:

We have solide surface counters and ceramic tile backsplashes. The
joints where the counter meet the tile are grouted and are cracking.
Almost along every joint on every counter surface. The grout is about
6 months old and have been sealed.

I am assuming this is common and due to moisture, surface flexing,
heat, etc. The question is: Is there anything I can do to keep this
from happening?

Thanks,
Patrick

Use a matching grout caulk, it will flex.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr Tibbs

Patrick Holzer wrote:

I am assuming this is common and due to moisture, surface flexing,
heat, etc. The question is: Is there anything I can do to keep this
from happening?

no, its not common, shower tile gets a lot more wet

just chip it up best you can and maybe get a shop vac or small wisk
broom

you can buy little cartons of grout...5 and 6 dollars...and just mix a
little at the time
in a small butter container...you don't even need a spoon..mix it thick
and then
use your fingers...pack it in...go across it with a damp sponge after a
few mins
let it dry a little

you could always set a toaster up there and block it

Posted to alt.home.repair

Evo in newsCpDf.10586$Ix.3514@trnddc07:

Use a matching grout caulk, it will flex.

degrease really well first.
i did this, used sanded caulk, used a grout aint to match color.

the color wore down rather fast, the caulk lasted about 6? 8? years.

What is typical method of holding counter top to kitchen cabinet? [email protected] Home Ownership 5 January 24th 06 02:09 PM
Epoxy grout question DJ Home Repair 8 June 22nd 05 01:07 AM
Kitchen cabinets question Patrick Bitton Woodworking 12 March 19th 05 03:35 PM
Maple kitchen counter feasibility nigel Woodworking 14 December 1st 04 01:21 PM
Kitchen counter D'Olier Home Repair 4 June 25th 03 03:21 AM