DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   tear in vinyl floor (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/142410-tear-vinyl-floor.html)

[email protected] January 29th 06 04:42 AM

tear in vinyl floor

Greetings. Today I had to do some electrical work and I moved the
fridge. When I moved it back, I found that one of the legs of the
fridge tore my kitchen floor. I'm trying to figure out how to best
repair it.

I believe the floor is vinyl, but I don't know what it is. It could be
laminate or even Linoleum. Beat's me. I am an idiot when it comes to
flooring and identification/terminology. What I can tell you is that
it's the stuff you commonly see on kitchen floors. It comes in a huge
roll and it's a plastic rubber-type sheet that's glossy and often is
patterned to look like tile. You can walk into any Home Depot and
you'll see it.

Anyway, any suggestions how I can patch this flooring? It's still
mostly intact (there's a flap) and I can essentially push it back into
it's original place without difficulty. But...obviously...I want to be
able to seal it down so it's flush and not too noticeable.

Thanks!

[email protected] January 29th 06 05:01 AM

tear in vinyl floor

contact cement or get the right adhesive. move everything out of way
clean and dry area. lift flap and force adhesive in best possible, put
back down and use a small roller to get out bumps and air bubbles

mm January 29th 06 06:13 AM

tear in vinyl floor

On 28 Jan 2006 20:42:09 -0800, wrote:

I believe the floor is vinyl, but I don't know what it is. It could be
laminate or even Linoleum.

Real linoleum hasn't been used in homes for more than 30 years I
think. It's stiff and comes in boring patterns. There is what is
called vinyl linoleum, but iiuc that is just another name for vinyl,
vinyl flooring. They use "linoleum" to indicate that it comes in a
sheet several feet wide, and not tiles.

Beat's me. I am an idiot when it comes to
flooring and identification/terminology. What I can tell you is that
it's the stuff you commonly see on kitchen floors.

Other people know how to fix it better than I.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Peter Griffin January 29th 06 02:46 PM

tear in vinyl floor

On 28 Jan 2006 20:42:09 -0800, wrote:
smear a small amount of multipurpose adhesive under the tear, roll/smooth
out area, and let dry for a few....go to lowes and buy an armstrong seam
sealer kit ...make sure you get the right one ...low gloss, or gloss
whichever your vinyl is.... apply the sedam sealer as per
instructions....never have a problem again.....

spudnuty January 29th 06 07:26 PM

tear in vinyl floor

3rd eye wrote:
I found that one of the legs of the
fridge tore my kitchen floor. I'm trying to figure out how to best
repair it.

I believe the floor is vinyl, but I don't know what it is. It could be
laminate or even Linoleum. Beat's me.

Well if it's flexable it's probably vinyl. I have a kit from Armstrong:
S-595 Seam Coating Kit or S-564 Low Gloss. I bought it to seal seams in
my vinyl floor. Never actually used it however. It contains a cleaner
and a two part seaming material. Got it from Menards so it's probably
available at most like that.
Richard

[email protected] January 29th 06 09:19 PM

tear in vinyl floor

Everyone, thanks for your help! I went out and got Loctite brand
"Vinyl & Plastic Repair" adhesive along with a Armstrong "High Gloss
S-595 Seam Coating Kit". Hopefully this will do the trick. I'll post
back with my results.

Thanks again.

[email protected] January 31st 06 09:10 AM

tear in vinyl floor

Well, the Loctite adhesive along with the Armstrong "High Gloss S-595
Seam Coating Kit" seems to have done the trick. You can still see
where the tear was, but I have to guess if one didn't know it was
there, you'd not see it.

Thanks again!