Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

Default Detecting where a coax cable goes to

I have what I think is an unsual question which I couldn't find an
answer to: in my attic there is a coax splitter with several coax
outputs to coax cables which snake into the ceiling and disappear in
the boweles of the house. They are all of the same color and have no
identifying marks. In the house itself, there are coax jacks in
several rooms.

And now the question: is there a way to determine, without buying
expensive equipment, which cable in the attic leads to which room?
Since not all coax jacks in the rooms are connected to a tv, it's not
just a matter of disconnecting one cable after another from the
splitter and seeing which tv loses its signal.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation
thehick

"Since not all coax jacks in the rooms are connected to a tv,
it's not just a matter of disconnecting one cable after another
from the splitter and seeing which tv loses its signal"
I can think of two ways right away. The way I would do it is
to get a small TV and conenct it to a cable outlet. Turn the sound
up high. Go in the attic and perhaps with a helper listening
disconnect one coax at a time. bingo.

the hard way would be to use a volt-ohm meter. disconnect all the coax
in the attic and jumper one outlet
across itself. then check in the attic for the line with 0 resistance.
....thehick

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation
Noozer

And now the question: is there a way to determine, without buying
expensive equipment, which cable in the attic leads to which room?
Since not all coax jacks in the rooms are connected to a tv, it's not
just a matter of disconnecting one cable after another from the
splitter and seeing which tv loses its signal.

Cut a small cable in two.. On one cut end wire up a 9v battery connector. On
the other cut end wire up a buzzer, or at least strip it so you can use a
meter to test the wire and shield.

Hook the 9v at the wall outlet. Go up to the splitter and check each lead
that comes up to the splitter. When you buzz, or get a 9v reading, you've
found that room.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation
buffalobill

also: cable tv company here will upgrade your splitters and replace the
cable ends from the pole to your jacks to deliver a nice picture to
your cable tv's.
and: maybe time to break down and buy a digital multimeter for $25.
look what you can fix with it at:
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_ts...tml#TSHOOT_014

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

Sorry for the newbie question, but what happens if there is a splitter?

Also, is possible to tell - and if so, how - if there are one or more
splitters between the attic and the room?

And, another also, will the presense of one or more splitters affect
the other approach suggested by others on this thread (volt-ohm/multi
meter)?

At least thehick's other idea - using a portable tv - should still
work...

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation
Pop

"Noozer" wrote in message
:
[...]
Good grieg, Charlie Brown! That's the hard way, and destructive,
too. Read the previous post - much easier and cleaner and more
dependaghle and a lot less destructvie.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation
Charlie Bress

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have what I think is an unsual question which I couldn't find an
answer to: in my attic there is a coax splitter with several coax
outputs to coax cables which snake into the ceiling and disappear in
the boweles of the house. They are all of the same color and have no
identifying marks. In the house itself, there are coax jacks in
several rooms.

And now the question: is there a way to determine, without buying
expensive equipment, which cable in the attic leads to which room?
Since not all coax jacks in the rooms are connected to a tv, it's not
just a matter of disconnecting one cable after another from the
splitter and seeing which tv loses its signal.

Let's assume there are no other splitters involved.
Forget the battery method.
Go to RadioShack or equivalent and buy a 75 ohm terminator.
If you don't own a test meter, get the cheapest one you can find that
measures resistance.
Disconnect all the sets that are attached to the cable system
Put the terminator on one wall outlet.
At the splitter disconnect, all the cables.
Take the meter and at the splitter end find the cable that measures about 75
ohms between the center pin of the cable connector and the outside of the
cable connector.
Tag both ends of that cable.
Move the terminator to the next wall outlet and repeat.
Having an assistant who can move the terminator around and communicate to
the attic is a great time and effort saver.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation
BruceR

You can even just use an alligator switch to short the center conductor
to the side and check for 0 ohms.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation
SJF

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have what I think is an unsual question which I couldn't find an
answer to: in my attic there is a coax splitter with several coax
outputs to coax cables which snake into the ceiling and disappear in
the boweles of the house. They are all of the same color and have no
identifying marks. In the house itself, there are coax jacks in
several rooms.

And now the question: is there a way to determine, without buying
expensive equipment, which cable in the attic leads to which room?
Since not all coax jacks in the rooms are connected to a tv, it's not
just a matter of disconnecting one cable after another from the
splitter and seeing which tv loses its signal.

Other posters have given you reasonable suggestions for identifying the
cables. But I'm wondering why it matters as long as each outlet is feeding
the same signal from the same source -- the splitter.

A caveat --

In a setup such as yours, each unused outlet should have a 75 ohm
terminator. Radio Shack has them. Unterminated cables can mess up the
signal to the active devices on the network.

SJF

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation
Kevin Ricks

"SJF" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

That goes for any unused connections on the spliter(s) as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

"Other posters have given you reasonable suggestions for identifying
the
cables. But I'm wondering why it matters as long as each outlet is
feeding
the same signal from the same source -- the splitter. "

Interesting you should ask (and, btw, you seem to be the first to do
so...). Anyway, a little off topic, but the reason for the question is
this: the cable company's feed starts from the attic and is being split
into various rooms as I described. What I would like to do is intall in
the attic an HTDV over-the-air antenna and feed the signal from that to
an HDTV in one of the rooms.

I don't want to run a new cable from the attic thru the second floor to
the first floor (where the HDTV is located); I just don't have the
skills (and probably tools) required for that kind of job. So, in my
infinite wisdom, I figured that if I can determine which cable goes to
the room in question, I'll just disconnect it from the splitter and
connect it to the OTA HDTV antenna in the attic (using a coax coupler)
and to the HDTV in the room and voila! OTA HDTV reception.

I understand that by doing that I give up regular cable reception in
that room but (1) it's a problem for another day and (2) it's not
really much of a problem anyway since I don't intend to user that for
the usual cable fare.

So that's the reason....

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

Well, that's a departure from the other proposals Just to be on the
safe side, I'm going to get tomorrow both a buzzer and a 75 ohm
terminator!

I already have a 9v battery and even a multimeter - analog,
unfortunately, but it does measure resistance, so I should be all set
(assuming by wife agrees to act as the assistant...)

As an aside, I must say it NEVER occured to me how useful a multimeter
is. Talk about learning something new every day.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation

" A caveat --

In a setup such as yours, each unused outlet should have a 75 ohm
terminator. Radio Shack has them. Unterminated cables can mess up the
signal to the active devices on the network.

SJF

That goes for any unused connections on the spliter(s) as well. "

Wow, for someone who is regulary considered by his friends as a more or
less maven, I now feel unbelievably ignorant ): I guess ignorance is
relative... I have never heard of 75 ohm terminators, nor of the
problems caused by unterminated cables and unused connections on
splitters. As I mentioned in another response - learn something new
every day.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation
BruceR

The center conductor of the coax is acts a small broadcast antenna (as
well as a receiver) the outer shield serves to contain the signal on the
center conductor to prevent both radiated signal leakage and reception
of over-the-air signals. The exposed end of the cable or splitter
connection is breaks the "seal" on the system and allows for leakage and
reception of unwanted signals. The terminator acts like a lid on jar and
maintains the cables impedance.

" A caveat --

In a setup such as yours, each unused outlet should have a 75 ohm
terminator. Radio Shack has them. Unterminated cables can mess up
the signal to the active devices on the network.

SJF

That goes for any unused connections on the spliter(s) as well. "

Wow, for someone who is regulary considered by his friends as a more
or less maven, I now feel unbelievably ignorant ): I guess ignorance
is relative... I have never heard of 75 ohm terminators, nor of the
problems caused by unterminated cables and unused connections on
splitters. As I mentioned in another response - learn something new
every day.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation
Charlie Bress

Good guess.
Wrong reason. The unterminated piece of cable, either open or shorted,
creates a phenomenon called a standing wave. Depending on the length of the
offending cable and whether it is opened or shorted, the wave can raise the
dickens with the right signals. Terminating the cable in the correct
impedance doesn't let the standing wave be created.

Take a look at
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSC...es/u10l4b.html
It talks about standing waves in a string, but the concept is similar for
liquids and radio waves.

Charlie

"BruceR" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation
SJF

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Logical reason -- and a good work-around.

SJF

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation
Bob Bob

Mmmmm!

Any unterminated cable looks like reactance to the rest of the circuit.
How much effect it has mainly depends on whats between it and the other
sections. A splitter like what one finds in motels with long runs has
only a small signal going to the TV and most of it continuing to the
next splitter. There is minimal effect leaving this configuration
unterminated. If however you are splitting the power in half (like most
home splitters) the effect will be greater. Worst case it could look
like a short circuit on one output port of the splitter, thus lowering
the other o/p port somewhat. You can also increase line losses by the
increased line VSWR but this is a very small figure next to the coax
resistive losses.

The simple rule is if you think you have a problem, try terminating and
check the effect on all TV channels. If you dont want to buy a
terminator just add an extra bit of coax (to the unterminated one) for a
test. If you have a strong signal in your area you may not need worry.
The biggest problems I have seen with CATV systems is the lack of good
connector earth connections yielding bleedthrough and low s/n
performance. Coax will only radiate or receive signal direct into the
jacket if there is a current inbalance inner to outer conductor. This
generally mean an asymmetric source or load. An open, shorted or high
line VSWR doesnt cause this problem.

An effective "short" or "open" situation only exists where the length of
the unterminated cable is either odd multiple of a 1/4 wavelength
(short) or multiples of a half wavelength (open) for ONLY the frequency
of interest. If the frequency doubles the wavelength halves. That gets
very complex with so many different TV freqs. This is in fact a very
good way of making a filter. If you were for example watching TV from
both a very weak and very strong station and needed a masthead preamp
for the weak one, chances are the strong signal will break through. If
you attach a piece of coax cut to a 1/4 wavelength of the strong station
at the preamp input it will null it by maybe 20-30dB. Note that the
other end of the coax needs to be waterproofed and the length modified
(shorter) by the velocity factor of the coax (between 0.66 and 0.82 or
so. Foam RG6 would be about 0.82)

Apologies for the waffle. I couldnt resist!

Cheers Bob

Coax cable Grumps UK diy 10 June 13th 05 10:44 AM
extending coax cable to cable-modem Rick UK diy 15 February 23rd 05 11:44 AM
For the Cable Guys: Coax cable Splitter Q. Michael Stoic Home Repair 6 January 25th 05 02:28 PM
Need Cable TV expert - I have questions exray Electronics Repair 4 March 28th 04 02:29 PM
Routeing Electrical FTE cable pickerel UK diy 3 July 24th 03 12:43 AM