Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Bodling

Default Problem with Exhaust fan-Heat Light Combo

I have a combo heat light - exhaust fan in my master bathroom that when you
turn on the switch for the heat light it will not come on untill you turn on
the switch for the exhaust fan and same thing happens when you turn on the
exhaust fan, the fan will not come on till you turn on the switch for the
heat light.

Any clues, sounds like there might be a loose connection some where...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"I have a combo heat light - exhaust fan in my master bathroom that
when you
turn on the switch for the heat light it will not come on untill you
turn on
the switch for the exhaust fan and same thing happens when you turn on
the
exhaust fan, the fan will not come on till you turn on the switch for
the
heat light. "

The one way I can think of that this would happen is if the switchs are
wired in series.

Posted to alt.home.repair
spudnuty

Robert Bodling wrote:
I have a combo heat light - exhaust fan in my master bathroom that when you
turn on the switch for the heat light it will not come on untill you turn on
the switch for the exhaust fan and same thing happens when you turn on the
exhaust fan, the fan will not come on till you turn on the switch for the
heat light.

Did the fan work properly before? Sounds like it's wired wrong. Either
way turn off the breaker(s) and check out the wiring in the switch box.
Richard

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Robert Bodling wrote:
I have a combo heat light - exhaust fan in my master bathroom that
when you turn on the switch for the heat light it will not come on
untill you turn on the switch for the exhaust fan and same thing
happens when you turn on the exhaust fan, the fan will not come on
till you turn on the switch for the heat light.

Any clues, sounds like there might be a loose connection some where...

I would not think it likely, but possible they are on different legs and
have a broken neutral. That would be bad.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

:
: Any clues, sounds like there might be a loose connection some
where...
:
:
DO NOT MULTIPOST; CROSSPOST INSTEAD. MULTIPOSTING IS GENERALLY
VER-BOTEN ON NEWSGROUPS.

That way when a person reads your message in one place, it's
marked read everywhere it's been crossposted to. See Help in
your app for how-to.

Pop

Posted to alt.home.repair
someone

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:37:11 GMT, "Pop"
wrote:

"Robert Bodling" wrote in message
.. .
:I have a combo heat light - exhaust fan in my master bathroom
that when you
: turn on the switch for the heat light it will not come on
untill you turn on
: the switch for the exhaust fan and same thing happens when you
turn on the
: exhaust fan, the fan will not come on till you turn on the
switch for the
: heat light.
:
: Any clues, sounds like there might be a loose connection some
where...
:
:
DO NOT MULTIPOST; CROSSPOST INSTEAD. MULTIPOSTING IS GENERALLY
VER-BOTEN ON NEWSGROUPS.

Better yet, do neither. Decide where you want to be, and post there.

That way when a person reads your message in one place, it's
marked read everywhere it's been crossposted to. See Help in
your app for how-to.

Pop

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:28:32 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Robert Bodling wrote:
I have a combo heat light - exhaust fan in my master bathroom that
when you turn on the switch for the heat light it will not come on
untill you turn on the switch for the exhaust fan and same thing
happens when you turn on the exhaust fan, the fan will not come on
till you turn on the switch for the heat light.

Any clues, sounds like there might be a loose connection some where...

I would not think it likely, but possible they are on different legs and
have a broken neutral. That would be bad.

The fan and light probably have different current requirements. A
broken (common) neutral would mean that neither is receiving the
proper voltage.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 14:14:49 GMT, "Robert Bodling"
wrote:

I have a combo heat light - exhaust fan in my master bathroom that when you
turn on the switch for the heat light it will not come on untill you turn on
the switch for the exhaust fan and same thing happens when you turn on the
exhaust fan, the fan will not come on till you turn on the switch for the
heat light.

Any clues, sounds like there might be a loose connection some where...

It's normal on some units for the light not to go on unless the fan is
on because the fan running prevents the housing of the unit from
getting too hot. But you should be able to run the fan without the
light on.

I'm betting the switch is wired wrong. Hot should come into one
switch. The other side that switch should go to the fan and to the
second switch. The other side of the second switch goes to the
heater. That way, the first switch controls the fan, and the heater
won't go on unless the fan is on.

HTH,

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin

wrote:

[...]

Should have said "normal for the *heater* not to go on unless the fan
is on"...

Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
prog. therm. and heat pump questions Abby Normal Home Repair 119 December 22nd 05 12:38 PM
Heat Pump confusion [email protected] Home Repair 12 December 22nd 05 11:41 AM
Change a light bulb Usenet Style Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 11:03 AM
strange problem connecting light to dimmer John Hunter Home Repair 6 January 19th 04 07:57 PM