DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Variable-speed timer switch (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/141254-variable-speed-timer-switch.html)

LurfysMa January 20th 06 11:14 PM

Variable-speed timer switch

We have one of those whole house fans. It works great. The only
problem is that it is very noisy. It does have a variable-speed
control (rheostat?) so that we can turn it on at various speeds from
high to low.

What it doesn't have is a timer that will allow us to set it to run
for a couple of hours and then shut off. In the summer, we often need
it to run for awhile after we have gone to sleep, but not all night.

I went to the local electric store and asked if anyone makes a
combination variable-speed and times switch the guy said no. I know
that I can wire a timer switch in series with the variable-speed
switch, but then I need to cut another hole in the wall.

Does anyone know where I might find a combination switch that will
allow me to set the speed and also a timer for up to, say, 4 hours?

I tried Google for variable-speed and timer and switch, but I got
either timers or variable speed switches, not both.

Thanks

--
For email, use

buffalobill January 21st 06 03:00 AM

Variable-speed timer switch

this handles up to a 1hp motor for $31.25 at:
http://www.energyfederation.org/cons...ath/39_766_133

LurfysMa January 21st 06 03:31 AM

Variable-speed timer switch

On 20 Jan 2006 19:00:26 -0800, "buffalobill"
wrote:

http://www.energyfederation.org/cons...ath/39_766_133

That switch will turn the motor one and off (up to 36 times each day),
but I did not see any variable speed capability.

--
For email, use

[email protected] January 21st 06 03:35 AM

Variable-speed timer switch

X 10 will do all that and more, commonly available probably still at
radio shack although they are converting to toy stores:(

turn on lights all thru home, dim them, work by timer and also by
wireless remote controls

LurfysMa January 21st 06 04:48 PM

Variable-speed timer switch

On 20 Jan 2006 19:35:43 -0800, "
wrote:

X 10 will do all that and more, commonly available probably still at
radio shack although they are converting to toy stores:(

turn on lights all thru home, dim them, work by timer and also by
wireless remote controls

Is X10 stable and reliable now? I looked into it briefly a number of
years ago (hmmmm, maybe 15?) and it seemed to have a lot of problems.

Each "unit" (light switch, etc.) has an address or ID and digital
signals are sent over the house wiring, right?

I would need to buy an X10 switch for each device (light, fan, etc.)
that I want to control, right?

Then I need a controller, right? Is this a stand-alone unit or can I
buy software for a PC? If so, does the PC need to be dedicated to the
X10 system?

I see several web sites:

www.x10.com
www.x10-direct.com
www.x10.com
www.smarthome.com

Any that are better than others?

The bes ng is comp.home.automation, right?

Thanks

--
For email, use