Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

Default Maytag Frost Free Refrigerator - Defective Evaporator Fan

As seen from alt.home.repair,
on 29 Jul 2004 09:01:18 -0700,
(jeff) wrote:

"Iceberg" wrote in message

I have purchased five new Maytag frost free top freezer refrigerators
in the last six years. Two of the five refrigerators have had a
failure of the evaporator fan motor (freezer fan). The symptoms in
both cases were a temperature in freezer compartment was OK, and the
temperature in the refrigerator compartment was warm (50s).

Hi,

I kept the most recent failed fan motor. The manufacturer and part
number is: Panasonic P/N UDQR002MB. I am not sure if the first failed
fan motor was the same part number, but it looked physically similar.

There has been 2-3 versions of this fan motor, panasonic can't get it
right :~\

Any of the white body panasonic motors I have been converting over to a
different style....means changing the wire ends...

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=778018
Motor, evaporator fan

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

I have a Magic Chef, which is made by Maytag. It has the same white-
body evaporator fan motor described above. This fridge was new when it
was delivered in Nov., 2002-- the motor has failed after only 3 years
and a couple months of use.

Remember the ad campaign featuring the bored Maytag service tech who
has nothing to do? When I called the factory service center to ask
about warranty coverage, wait time on hold to speak with a rep was
nearly half an hour. Of course, the fan is out of warranty. Price
for the listed replacement motor at most appliance parts houses: $50.

My first thought was that I have an unreliable product, and that I can
look forward to more repair bills in the future. That impression seems
to be supported by several articles I've read in the Google groups
archives concerning Maytag products. Would you agree with that
assessment of Maytag? I also get the idea from articles in this group
that this motor is one of the most common components to fail in any
refrigerator. Does that tally with your experience?

This fridge was provided for free by my power utility under a
replacement program designed to offer low power consumption
refrigerators to a low-income person (like me) who couldn't afford
one. Fortunately, I've managed to save up, so that I now have the
option to go buy a new one. Point is, I currently have no money
invested in this fridge.

I've long had the impression that Whirlpool/KitchenAid is the best and
most reliable. I bought a Whirlpool gas range at www.appliancesmart.com
(nice to see they're still in business), which offers overstocked and
cosmetically blemished appliances at significant discounts. It has been
trouble-free for 7 years (I'd been holding my breath about the ignitors
but, so far, so good).

So, my questions: in my circumstances, and keeping possible future
service bills in mind, would you replace the fan motor or the whole
fridge? Is Whirlpool still reliable, or would you recommend a different
make? Can I look forward to something that's a little bit better than 3
years of service from the most failure-prone components in whatever
make you would recommend?

Thanks,

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had the same problem with our 4-year old Maytag refrigerator. The
replacement Panasonic evaporator motor cost $65, and I'm really
disgusted with Maytag and will be looking at other manufacturers.
We're looking at all new appliances for a new house, and according to
the reliability data I've seen, Maytag is in the middle of the pack (at
best) for most appliances. Kitchenaid was usually lower, and Whirlpool
and Kenmore were usually at the top.

Jeff wrote:
As seen from alt.home.repair,
on 29 Jul 2004 09:01:18 -0700,

most reliable. I bought a Whirlpool gas range at www.appliancesmart.com
(nice to see they're still in business), which offers overstocked and
cosmetically blemished appliances at significant discounts. It has been
trouble-free for 7 years (I'd been holding my breath about the ignitors
but, so far, so good).

So, my questions: in my circumstances, and keeping possible future
service bills in mind, would you replace the fan motor or the whole
fridge? Is Whirlpool still reliable, or would you recommend a different
make? Can I look forward to something that's a little bit better than 3
years of service from the most failure-prone components in whatever
make you would recommend?

Thanks,

Jeff

AEG frost free freezer freezes up The General UK diy 6 December 18th 05 02:47 PM
Frost Free Freezer Behaviour andrewpreece UK diy 8 May 21st 04 09:20 PM
Lint free rags? David P Woodworking 10 December 18th 03 10:23 PM
Bosch frost free problems Jonathan UK diy 6 September 4th 03 10:27 AM