Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
Adam Preble

Default Sparks came from my dryer after running over power cable; doesn'twork now

I have a Whirlpool thintwin washer/dryer combo. I was moving it back
into place when I dragged part of the frame over the power cord. I was
holding it from the front, but I heard a pop and saw sparks. coming
from the right, bottom side of the dryer (assuming you're looking at it
face on). The circuit breaker hadn't tripped, but the power cable had
gash and a scorch mark on the floor.

The cord was easy enough to replace and I tried that. The unit isn't
responding now. The dryer won't even start, for example. While I was
checking behind the unit, I found what I think is the thermal fuse. If
that's working, it should come up like a short, right? There were some
round electrical devices that I think are the thermostats. I don't know
a way to test with the multimeter, but they didn't look burst at all.
In fact, I couldn't find an origin for the sparks at all.

Is there anything else to check?