Posted to alt.home.repair
Buck Turgidson

Default Energy Star Compliant Doors

How important is this notation when looking at doors? I am comparing HD's
"Feather River" doors and a "Therma-Tru" door, both fiberglass. I like the
looks of the latter door much better, but it says nothing about "Energy
Star" stuff on the literature, while the former says it is compliant in all
50 states.

Is this notation just a marketing thing, or should I take it into account
for comparison? The doors seem similarly constructed, with foam cores and
triple-pane glass.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
How important is this notation when looking at doors? I am comparing HD's
"Feather River" doors and a "Therma-Tru" door, both fiberglass. I like
the
looks of the latter door much better, but it says nothing about "Energy
Star" stuff on the literature, while the former says it is compliant in
all
50 states.

Is this notation just a marketing thing, or should I take it into account
for comparison? The doors seem similarly constructed, with foam cores and
triple-pane glass.

Do they give specifications on R values and insulation? The second may be
the same but did not do whatever has to be done to say they are Energy Star
compliant. You probably have to do testing a pay a fee for the use of the
name.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Any manufacturer want his suplies to have an Energy Star label. It means
they are above a certain insulating value and air infiltration rating.
I would not but any window or door that is not since I live in a high
heat-cooling area. Check each units independant rating for air
infiltration and R or U value. If one unit doesn`t say it is "Energy
Star" likely it fails their requirements.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Buck Turgidson

Do they give specifications on R values and insulation? The second may be
the same but did not do whatever has to be done to say they are Energy

Star
compliant. You probably have to do testing a pay a fee for the use of the
name.

They have detailed specs in a PDF. It looks impressive, but I guess I would
have to compare it to the other one. I'd rather do my taxes than grind
through u and r factors.

http://www.thermatru.com/Downloads/prod/performData.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

See if they've been rated by The National Fenestration Rating Council
http://www.nfrc.org/ They're a non-profit organization that rates window,
doors and skylights. The web site explains the NFRC label and provides a
directory of certified products.