Posted to alt.home.repair
Kathy

Default INSULATION info needed

I have a new little room I need to insulate and
sheetrock this weekend. 2 of the walls were built
to accomodate new windows and the joist spacing is
irregular. Will I be better off using unfaced stuff
and then putting plastic over the whole wall or is
it ok if the paper doesn't overlap the wood. I'm
starting off new so I want to do it right. Anywhere
else I put it up had normal wall spacing so it fit
right in and the paper got stapled over top of each
other.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Kathy wrote:
I have a new little room I need to insulate and
sheetrock this weekend. 2 of the walls were built
to accomodate new windows and the joist spacing is
irregular. Will I be better off using unfaced stuff
and then putting plastic over the whole wall or is
it ok if the paper doesn't overlap the wood. I'm
starting off new so I want to do it right. Anywhere
else I put it up had normal wall spacing so it fit
right in and the paper got stapled over top of each
other.

Whatever makes you happy. It will work either way. The only time it
would be a problem would be if you had a special moisture - temperature
situation.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

you need to hold insulation in place vertically with staples.
do not pack it.
the unfaced stuff is for the floor cavity.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

I have a 22' x 35' garage where the studs look like the guy was drunk when
he built it. I got several estimates for fiberglass, and two of the guys
actually recommended spray foam because of all the waste they would have. It
was expensive, but worth it.

"Kathy" wrote in message
I have a new little room I need to insulate and
sheetrock this weekend. 2 of the walls were built
to accomodate new windows and the joist spacing is
irregular. Will I be better off using unfaced stuff
and then putting plastic over the whole wall or is
it ok if the paper doesn't overlap the wood. I'm
starting off new so I want to do it right. Anywhere
else I put it up had normal wall spacing so it fit
right in and the paper got stapled over top of each
other.

Posted to alt.home.repair
abi

"Kathy" wrote in message
I have a new little room I need to insulate and
sheetrock this weekend. 2 of the walls were built
to accomodate new windows and the joist spacing is
irregular. Will I be better off using unfaced stuff
and then putting plastic over the whole wall or is
it ok if the paper doesn't overlap the wood. I'm
starting off new so I want to do it right. Anywhere
else I put it up had normal wall spacing so it fit
right in and the paper got stapled over top of each
other.

I used those DIY Tiger Foam Insulation Kits on my garage and it worked
real good and was cheaper than a contractor

Posted to alt.home.repair

Paper is vapor barrier. buy unfaced paperless insulation, or slash
paper vapor barrier repeatedly.

install insulation DONT compress it, then cover all walls with heavy
plastic like 10 mills. overlap seams and tape well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kraft paper is not vapor-barrier. Foil is. Paper will do you no harm,
and may be of use to staple to studs.

HTH,