Posted to alt.home.repair
RB

Default what do i need?

Got a 2000lb tractor on a parking pad that I'm going to have to re-engine.
One of the chores associated with that will be to elongate two eng mtg holes
approx 1/16" in heavy frame rails. The holes, with the engine out, should
be in the clear, and accessible. It's going to be necessary to take the
tools to the work, and not the work to the tools.

What kind of tools do I need to make this reasonably easy? I thought about
a high speed cutter head for my die grinder? Is that the best way to go?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 14:41:17 -0600, "RB"
wrote:

Got a 2000lb tractor on a parking pad that I'm going to have to re-engine.
One of the chores associated with that will be to elongate two eng mtg holes
approx 1/16" in heavy frame rails. The holes, with the engine out, should
be in the clear, and accessible. It's going to be necessary to take the
tools to the work, and not the work to the tools.

What kind of tools do I need to make this reasonably easy? I thought about
a high speed cutter head for my die grinder? Is that the best way to go?

Can you just drill the holes 1/8 inch larger diameter and use a washer
if needed? Be a lot easier than trying to elongate them. You can
always drive a shim in next to the bolt if you need to make absolutely
sure it won't shift.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

You can take an electric drill with a bit the same size and angle it back
and forth, then file the rest. The redneck way is to use a cutting torch.
lol

"RB" wrote in message
news
Got a 2000lb tractor on a parking pad that I'm going to have to re-engine.
One of the chores associated with that will be to elongate two eng mtg
holes
approx 1/16" in heavy frame rails. The holes, with the engine out, should
be in the clear, and accessible. It's going to be necessary to take the
tools to the work, and not the work to the tools.

What kind of tools do I need to make this reasonably easy? I thought

about
a high speed cutter head for my die grinder? Is that the best way to go?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark and Kim Smith

RB wrote:

Got a 2000lb tractor on a parking pad that I'm going to have to re-engine.
One of the chores associated with that will be to elongate two eng mtg holes
approx 1/16" in heavy frame rails. The holes, with the engine out, should
be in the clear, and accessible. It's going to be necessary to take the
tools to the work, and not the work to the tools.

What kind of tools do I need to make this reasonably easy? I thought about
a high speed cutter head for my die grinder? Is that the best way to go?

Die grinder with a carbide rotary rasp / file. It'll be quicker than a
drill in any case. Cleaner too.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young

You might be surprised how quickly this can be done with a new name brand
coarse round file of the largest size that will go in the hole.
Don Young
news