Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I hang sconces?

I received a pair of wall sconces for christmas and I don't know how to
hang them. They are not electric, but they did not come with any
hanging hardware and don't have any spots to put nails, hooks, or
screws into. They are made of metal and are in a dual swirl shape (one
swirl above the other), and I think I need to hang the middle part of
the swirl on them. The part I am having trouble with is the type of
hardware to use. If I use a nail they could just be pulled off of it,
and if I use a hook it would show a lot. Is there something special for
this type of thing?

Decided to post a pictu
http://www.snapfish.com/viewsharedph...=SYE/otsi=SPIC

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

Here's what I would do: find a wall stud - drive two small finish
nails into it (top and bottom of the sconce) - leave the nails out far
enough to hang the sconce. Take some dark colored craft wire and tie
the sconce to the nails. If necessary, dab a bit of black paint over
the nail heads to further conceal them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Use ribbed nails, instead or regular nails.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/storm/c...ore/nails.html

wrote in message
oups.com...
I received a pair of wall sconces for christmas and I don't know how to
hang them. They are not electric, but they did not come with any
hanging hardware and don't have any spots to put nails, hooks, or
screws into. They are made of metal and are in a dual swirl shape (one
swirl above the other), and I think I need to hang the middle part of
the swirl on them. The part I am having trouble with is the type of
hardware to use. If I use a nail they could just be pulled off of it,
and if I use a hook it would show a lot. Is there something special for
this type of thing?

Decided to post a pictu

http://www.snapfish.com/viewsharedph...=SYE/otsi=SPIC

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

wrote in message
oups.com...
I received a pair of wall sconces for christmas and I don't know how to
hang them. They are not electric, but they did not come with any
hanging hardware and don't have any spots to put nails, hooks, or
screws into. They are made of metal and are in a dual swirl shape (one
swirl above the other), and I think I need to hang the middle part of
the swirl on them. The part I am having trouble with is the type of
hardware to use. If I use a nail they could just be pulled off of it,
and if I use a hook it would show a lot. Is there something special for
this type of thing?

Decided to post a pictu

http://www.snapfish.com/viewsharedph...=SYE/otsi=SPIC

Ah one of the challenging things.

Nails or screws can support this if there are mounted where the curving hook
terminates. Which is about the mid-point at the top. If doing it this way I
would do the top one only first to find the balance point. Then add the
second one at the bottom.

Another way would be to purchase some small cable straps that fit the
diameter of the metal, paint them a similar color and use a couple per
sconce. The advantage to this method it that there is no concern about
hitting studs. Two screws per unit into plastic anchors will hold them just
fine.

Happing hanging.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

wrote in message
oups.com...
I received a pair of wall sconces for christmas and I don't know how to
hang them. They are not electric, but they did not come with any
hanging hardware and don't have any spots to put nails, hooks, or
screws into. They are made of metal and are in a dual swirl shape (one
swirl above the other), and I think I need to hang the middle part of
the swirl on them. The part I am having trouble with is the type of
hardware to use. If I use a nail they could just be pulled off of it,
and if I use a hook it would show a lot. Is there something special for
this type of thing?

Decided to post a pictu
http://www.snapfish.com/viewsharedph...=SYE/otsi=SPIC

You will put flower pots in the loops?
Hang it by hooks or wire that will be hidden by the flower pots.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

wrote in message
oups.com...
I received a pair of wall sconces for christmas and I don't know how to
hang them. They are not electric, but they did not come with any
hanging hardware and don't have any spots to put nails, hooks, or
screws into. They are made of metal and are in a dual swirl shape (one
swirl above the other), and I think I need to hang the middle part of
the swirl on them. The part I am having trouble with is the type of
hardware to use. If I use a nail they could just be pulled off of it,
and if I use a hook it would show a lot. Is there something special for
this type of thing?

Decided to post a pictu

http://www.snapfish.com/viewsharedph...74787802/otsc=
SYE/otsi=SPIC

I don't think they are all there. Stuff I have seen like this before had
little brackets that screwed to the wall, and the thing then hung off of
those. Were these artisan-made, or in a manufacturers pack? Can you ask
whoever gave them to you, where they got them?

I'd fake it with some stout screws and black cable ties or mechanics wire,
in spots that are hidden by whatever fits in the holders. A dab of flat
black paint will make the screws vanish pretty well. While the total weight
of the sconces and the candles will be pretty low, you want something strong
enough that people brushing past won't knock them down, unless mounted above
furniture or something, (Of course, if kids are in the house, you want them
strong wherever they are- stuff like that is a kid magnet.)

Other alternative- some wrought-iron-look coat hooks, and just hang them
from the top loop. If kids around, and you can get to the screws, use an
upside-down hook at the bottom, and trap the thing between the hooks.
Something in the fireplace tool aisle would probably work.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"ameijers" wrote in message
I don't think they are all there. Stuff I have seen like this before had
little brackets that screwed to the wall,

Aem,

They are all there. Pottery barn and others sell this s*** all the time.
They don't care whether you can hang it or not. That is why when it comes
to this stuff it time by the hour and materials for the installation.
Shopping for parts to install it is part of the time charged.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 21:07:04 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I received a pair of wall sconces for christmas and I don't know how to
hang them. They are not electric, but they did not come with any
hanging hardware and don't have any spots to put nails, hooks, or
screws into. They are made of metal and are in a dual swirl shape (one
swirl above the other), and I think I need to hang the middle part of
the swirl on them. The part I am having trouble with is the type of
hardware to use. If I use a nail they could just be pulled off of it,
and if I use a hook it would show a lot. Is there something special for
this type of thing?

Decided to post a pictu
http://www.snapfish.com/viewsharedph...=SYE/otsi=SPIC

You will put flower pots in the loops?
Hang it by hooks or wire that will be hidden by the flower pots.

I like this.

Or if you can get matching metal, or metal you can seem to make match,
I think Omega clips (that's my name because they are shaped like a
greek omega, except the opening is not narrowed) are often used for
something like this. One each just below the top and bottom shelves.

If you're a real fanatic, like I can be some times, I haven't done
this, but drill holes on either side of the main rod, right next to
the rod, as deep as you can and the same diameter as some stiff wire
you have. You can get spring wire at a hobby store. You only need one
or two pieces. Then bend the wire around the rod, 180 degrees, and
shove each end into the hole, as deep as possible. Maybe coat the
wire with glue before you put it in. Use thicker wire if you plan to
put stuff or heavy stuff on the shelves. Don't use soft copper wire.
Use that spring stuff. (The hobby stores also sell softer wire, that
looks just about the same. Make sure you get the right thing.)

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Bob, Cynthia Harris wrote:
Im looking for a decorative nail and hook because they can be seen when the
sconce is hung.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ces-76843-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 12:44:03 GMT, Cynthia Harris
m wrote:

replying to Bob, Cynthia Harris wrote:
I’m looking for a decorative nail and hook because they can be seen when the
sconce is hung.

You don't say how big/heavy they are nor do you state
what type of wall construction ; nor whether they are
indoors or outdoors ! gee thanks ..
... we're here to help - not read your friggin' mind !.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware...t=3,40914&ap=1
John T.