Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default Outdoor Fireplace

Hiya Folks,
For all you masons out there, I've got a question or two regarding outdoor
fireplaces. I'm looking to build my own Kiva fireplace outdoors in our
front courtyard. I've started looking at pre-cast units as well as the
Superior Clay products (aka Rumford) and have decided just to do it all on
my own.
I've stopped into a few suppliers asking questions and they always give me a
price for a damper and smoke chamber. Basically I have two questions at
this point. 1. Do I need a damper for something that's going to see use
outdoors? 2. Can I simply shape my own smoke chamber with morter and
brick vs. buying a pre-cast one? I definitely will be installing Flue and
I'm sure that would be easier to install if I had a pre-cast smoke chamber
to work around but just not sure if I can't just shape it myself.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
[...]

no.

yes.

i had this one built for me

http://groups.msn.com/chaniarts/shoe...to&PhotoID=303

and they built it entirely from a load of block and firebrick.