Posted to alt.home.repair
DesignGuy

Default Mirror came loose from bathroom wall

Well, Christmas day wasn't bad until....

Returned home from in-laws house to find the approx 5 ft by 3.5 ft bathroom
mirror had come loose from the wall and smashed to pieces on the floor. It
had been held in place by eight dark patches of a (now hardened) adhesive
tar-like substance. Held it for 11 years, but I would think this would never
happen unless it wasn't affixed to the wall properly. There was no residue
that I could find on the mirror from the adhesive, so it looks like the
mirror broke away from the adhesive (versus the adhesive shearing or pulling
away from the drywall).

I'm going to call a glass man out to replace... but is there a better way to
anchor the mirror to prevent it from happening again? And is there a way to
check to see if other mirrors are about to fall also?

Posted to alt.home.repair
cm

Most of the mirrors I remove and re-install use the black mirror mastic with
the plastic mirror clips for back-up.

Craig

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

"DesignGuy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

http://www.liquidnails.com/ViewProdu...o?productId=39

is the link to mirror adhesive by liquid nails

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to DesignGuy :
I'm going to call a glass man out to replace... but is there a better way to
anchor the mirror to prevent it from happening again? And is there a way to
check to see if other mirrors are about to fall also?

I've never been fond of using adhesives to hold up mirrors. Not the
least of it being ripping off the coating if you ever have to move/remove
the mirror.

We always use mirror clips. The plastic kind for smaller mirrors,
metal ones for larger.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 02:20:40 GMT, "DesignGuy"
wrote:

Well, Christmas day wasn't bad until....

Returned home from in-laws house to find the approx 5 ft by 3.5 ft bathroom
mirror had come loose from the wall and smashed to pieces on the floor. It
had been held in place by eight dark patches of a (now hardened) adhesive
tar-like substance. Held it for 11 years, but I would think this would never
happen unless it wasn't affixed to the wall properly. There was no residue

A mirror came with my bedroom set, the one I got when I was 6, but it
wasn't childish.. When my mother moved she hired a mirror company to
hang the mirror and she gave them the hooks and the bottom brackets
that she'd taken off the wall at the previous house. They used the
hooks but not the brackets. When she reminded them about the brackets
they said, "It doesn't need that". It fell off the wall less than a
day after they left.

The glass broke and the frame separated. They supposedly fixed it,
but the corners of the frame don't meet anymore. They're 3/16" from
each other at one corner, and I'm afraid to try to fix it because the
mirror is in the way.

It matches the rest of the furniture, so I can't replace it.

that I could find on the mirror from the adhesive, so it looks like the
mirror broke away from the adhesive (versus the adhesive shearing or pulling
away from the drywall).

I'm going to call a glass man out to replace... but is there a better way to
anchor the mirror to prevent it from happening again? And is there a way to
check to see if other mirrors are about to fall also?

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

DesignGuy wrote:
Well, Christmas day wasn't bad until....

Returned home from in-laws house to find the approx 5 ft by 3.5 ft bathroom
mirror had come loose from the wall and smashed to pieces on the floor. It
had been held in place by eight dark patches of a (now hardened) adhesive
tar-like substance. Held it for 11 years, but I would think this would never
happen unless it wasn't affixed to the wall properly. There was no residue
that I could find on the mirror from the adhesive, so it looks like the
mirror broke away from the adhesive (versus the adhesive shearing or pulling
away from the drywall).

I'm going to call a glass man out to replace... but is there a better way to
anchor the mirror to prevent it from happening again? And is there a way to
check to see if other mirrors are about to fall also?

Yeah. Not to be too flippant but they are called
screws or molly bolts. With a non-framed mirror,
you can use the plastic clips (screw and clip are
exposed) or you can use the type that have just
just a small metal clip exposed. With a 5 x3.5
foot mirror I would use the metal type (the part
screwed into the wall is behind the mirror) and I
would use at least 3 clips on the bottom and 3 on
the top. I would never trust sticky stuff to hold
a mirror. I think you are lucky that it held it
as long as it did.

With a framed mirror you just put screws through
the frame or use clips that are hidden or mostly
hidden under part of the wood frame.