Posted to alt.home.repair
Vince

Default Repair of Torn Gypsum Board Paper

What method(s) could/should be used to repair a paper tear in the
surface of gypsum board?

This is not a cracked surface nor a hole in the surface, but is at
corner areas of the hole in the gypsum board made for mounting a
single gang electrical box. Apparently caused by careless removal of
the piece removed when making the hole. It is a surface blemish as in
only the paper covering.

I don't think this needs application of tape and spackle .

Posted to alt.home.repair

My rule on this is - if the outlet cover plate conceals it then I do
not do anything to it but make sure it gets painted. If it does NOT get
concealed then some spackle is required but no tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Vince

OKay; spackle and not joint compound.

The cover plate does not conceal the blemishes. At the bottom end of
the hole, when viewing at perpendicular/level height there is a
noticeable gap with the cover plate installed.

It is that gap/hole that has me considering using a mesh tape and then
spackle over that. I do have a partial roll of mesh fiber tape here,
left by a previous jobber. Claims to be self adhesive. I tried
wetting it first and placing on a test surface area, but it did not
stick at all.

I saw something called Lite Spackle at the HD that I almost brought
home. I do have a tube of "painter's nail hole filler" from HD (made
by Eclectic Products, Inc.). Wondering if that would adhere
sufficiently ?

On 25 Dec 2005 11:27:55 -0800, wrote:

My rule on this is - if the outlet cover plate conceals it then I do
not do anything to it but make sure it gets painted. If it does NOT get
concealed then some spackle is required but no tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

Vince wrote:
[...]

Do not use the mesh tape. It will be very difficult to cover on a flat
surface. A piece of paper tape and a few quick coats of mud is all
that is needed. If there is a 'gap' the tape will be needed. It can
be filled with mud minus tape but tain't worth the fooling around.

Harry K

Harry K

Phillips 50" Plasma Repair Parts Needed - Model 50FD9955 James W Electronics Repair 4 September 19th 05 05:51 PM
Japanese rip saw technique RichardS Woodworking 22 April 26th 05 04:10 PM
paper phenolic pcb Obelix Electronics 4 October 20th 04 04:41 PM
chess board needs some pieces... Silvan Woodworking 17 October 2nd 03 11:20 PM
How to re-lacquer a vintage carrom game board Armchair Bronco Woodworking 1 August 20th 03 02:17 PM