Posted to alt.home.repair
sofasurfer

Default Can't light gas fireplace

Bought house with Heatilator gas fireplace. Can't get it to light.

1) Valve handle in supply line is turned parallel to gas line. I think
that is 'on' position.
2) Gas line comes into left side of firebox. Goes into side of off-on
valve. Theres a tiny diameter tube or wire(1/16 inch diameter) coming
out of rear of off-on valve. It goes around behind logs and runs over
to the right side of log pile and (though I can't see it) I can feel
that it connects to a small object behind the logs. Is this the
electric ignition? I assume it is although I don't know for a fact if
it has an electric ignition.
3) On the knob it says "At ignition postion ( I assume this is halfway
between on and off ) push part way in to turn off and push all the way
in to light". Either I 'light' with a match or this is an electric
ignition. I don't hear any sparking.
4) With knob at 'on' or 'light' position I can not hear gas, although
once I thought I did. With the main valve having been on all the time
but the fireplace has not been used in a year, do I need to leave the
valve open for some time to get the gas flowing?

Sorry for all the questions but....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

sofasurfer wrote:
Bought house with Heatilator gas fireplace. Can't get it to light.

1) Valve handle in supply line is turned parallel to gas line. I think
that is 'on' position.

OK, you allowed gas flow.

2) Gas line comes into left side of firebox. Goes into side of off-on
valve. Theres a tiny diameter tube or wire(1/16 inch diameter) coming
out of rear of off-on valve. It goes around behind logs and runs over
to the right side of log pile and (though I can't see it) I can feel
that it connects to a small object behind the logs. Is this the
electric ignition? I assume it is although I don't know for a fact if
it has an electric ignition.
3) On the knob it says "At ignition postion ( I assume this is halfway
between on and off ) push part way in to turn off and push all the way
in to light". Either I 'light' with a match or this is an electric
ignition. I don't hear any sparking.

Most likely you have a pilot light system. Not piezo ignitor. Push and
holding that knob, you have to light the pilot. Use long match stick or
gas lighter(like BBQ lighter). When pilot ignites, wait for 30 seconds
or so and release the knob and turn it to "on" position.

4) With knob at 'on' or 'light' position I can not hear gas, although
once I thought I did. With the main valve having been on all the time
but the fireplace has not been used in a year, do I need to leave the
valve open for some time to get the gas flowing?

Sorry for all the questions but....

If you never used gas fire place or worked on gas furnace, look for
instruction on the bottom of FP. It's usually printed on a sheet metal
plate and secured on a chain. If you can't find it and are not sure of
what you're doing, get a friend who knows this stuff and let him show it
to you.
If you are not careful gas can go Kaboom! Worst thing can happen.
BTW, in my house I have 3 gas FPs, a furnace, and two hot water tanks.
Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair
sofasurfer

I'm being careful. Thats why I came hear to learn before I do anything.

1) The tube that the gas come out of, it runs the length of the logs,
UNDERNEATH them. Am I correct that that is where the gas comes out?

2) I assume I can try lighting anywhere along that tube as opposed to a
certain spot? I don't see the little orifices. Are they on the bottom
of the tube or what?

Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

the safety pilot will not allow main gas to flow until the pilot light
is lit and heats up the thermocouple a minute or two.

see also:
http://www.heatilator.com/customerCare/pilot.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair

Because of the bad things that can happen, I'd suggest that, instead of
relying on double-ended guesswork here, you arrange for some
knowledgeable, responsible person to visit. Then identify unit, check
it out, explain operation to you, and provide you references like
owner's manual.

That person might be from retailer/installer/gas company.

Your insurance company and neighbors will thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
sofasurfer

look for
instruction on the bottom of FP. It's usually printed on a sheet metal
plate and secured on a chain.

I can't find a tag with the model or serial numbers. Could it be buried
under the charcoal looking stuff spread on the floor of the firebox? By
the way, whats that stuff called?

Posted to alt.home.repair

use the link provided by Buffalobill

http://www.heatilator.com/customerCare/pilot.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair
sofasurfer

Bought house with Heatilator gas fireplace. Can't get it to light.

OK. Got it lit. Very simple. Its the same principle as a gas stove or
some furnaces.

I removed the logs, after noting there individual positions. Now I can
see the pilot. Turned the knob to 'pilot' and lit the pilot. Held the
knob in for a few seconds and turned the knob to 'on'.
Immediately the flame lit and also fire came up through the
gravel...charcoal...vermiculite in the bottom of the firebox for about
2 seconds. Startled me a bit but it died down immediately. Must have
been some excess gas seepage. Shut it down and relit it and all seems
fine. Shut it back down till I ask some more questions.

1) I was told that what I have is not a true gas fireplace, but rather
a wood burning fireplace that was converted to gas logs.Whats the
differance?
At the store I see that a gas fireplace has a valve assembly under the
firebox and an electric ignitor. My valve assembly is IN the firebox
with only a manual-lit pilot. What other differances are there that
makes my NOT A TRUE GAS FIREPLACE?

2) I read that there are 'vented' logs and 'vent-free' logs. Whats the
differance and how do I know what I have?

3) Do I burn with the glass dors open or closed, or is there a
differance and why?

4) What is the purpose of the charcoal-vermiculite concoction and how
should it be spread? Should the gas tube under the logs be covered or
not?

Is there anything else I need to know?
Thanks...

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

sofasurfer wrote:
1) I was told that what I have is not a true gas fireplace, but rather
a wood burning fireplace that was converted to gas logs.Whats the
differance?

A wood-burning fireplace has a chimney.