Posted to alt.home.repair
yossarian

Default Furnace and Air Conditioner Installation Cost

I have received quotes to install a new furnace and A/C unit at our
house and wanted to get a sanity check on the price.

The load calc indicates a need for a 120,000 BTU unit and a 4 ton A/C.
The units would replace a 120,000 BTU that was original to the house
(1982) and a 3 1/2 ton A/C that was also original to the house
(1982). Since the house was built, there is an additional 300 sf or
so, with a total of almost 3,300 sf of space.

There is a fair amount of work to be done in connection with any
installs, including a lot of venting/piping for the furnace and the
A/C, as well as lining our chimney to handle only the hot water
heater. In addition, we will certainly require some damper
adjustments.

We have been quoted $6,500 for an install of a Carrier 58 MVP 120 and
$6,300 for an install of a Carrier 38 TDB (16 SEER).

These prices seem high, but they are actually lower than pricing we