Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert11

Default Light Switch: Push In As Good As Screw Terminals ?

Hello:

Have to replace a light switch.

Was wondering:

Are the switches with the push-in wire connections option as good and as
reliable
as using the conventional screw terminals ?

What's the history on re reliability, danger due to arcing, etc. ?

This would be for a simple on-off for a kitchen light.
Perhaps 300 watts or so.

Thanks,
B.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband

Robert,

Are the switches with the push-in wire connections option as good and as
reliable as using the conventional screw terminals ?

I wouldn't use the push-in connections on switches/recepticles. I don't
think they're even allowed by code anymore? They rely on a spring contact
which could theoretically weaken over time, allowing overheating, arcing,
fires, etc...

In any case, the screw terminals will provide a stronger, more reliable
connection. Just remember to wind the wire around the screw in the
direction the screw turns.

My favorite switches/recepticles are the ones that use a clamping plate
under the screw. You simply strip the wire, insert it under the plate, and
tighten down the screw. The ease of the push in connectors, with the solid
connection of a screw terminal. Best of both worlds. But, they do tend to
cost slightly more. No biggy for one device, another matter when you have
dozens to install...

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

I have had several push in connections fail in my house. This how the house
was constructed. The vacuum cleaner caused most of them. Of not in the
plug it was plugged into, but further "upstream" which took some detective
work to find.

"Robert11" wrote in message
news
Hello:

Have to replace a light switch.

Was wondering:

Are the switches with the push-in wire connections option as good and as
reliable
as using the conventional screw terminals ?

What's the history on re reliability, danger due to arcing, etc. ?

This would be for a simple on-off for a kitchen light.
Perhaps 300 watts or so.

Thanks,
B.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson

"Robert11" wrote in message
news
Are the switches with the push-in wire connections option as good and as
reliable as using the conventional screw terminals ?

You should ask either the governmental safety authority
or the industrial standards association for the country
where you live. One or the other may have tested the
variety currently on the market.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

My favorite switches/recepticles are the ones that use a clamping plate
under the screw. You simply strip the wire, insert it under the plate, and
tighten down the screw. The ease of the push in connectors, with the solid
connection of a screw terminal. Best of both worlds. But, they do tend to
cost slightly more. No biggy for one device, another matter when you have
dozens to install...

I don't think the clamps are nearly as good as screw terminals; it is simply
much easier for them to pull out.
That said, I use them all the time. They are great with #10 wire, or when
you are a bit short on wire as they require less wire; and there is less
wire to bend up and shove in the box.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TKM

"Robert11" wrote in message
news
Hello:

Have to replace a light switch.

Was wondering:

Are the switches with the push-in wire connections option as good and as
reliable
as using the conventional screw terminals ?

What's the history on re reliability, danger due to arcing, etc. ?

This would be for a simple on-off for a kitchen light.
Perhaps 300 watts or so.

Thanks,
B.

They are perfectly acceptable to UL and other fire/electrical safety
organizations.

I've never had trouble with any push-in connections; but I still prefer a
screw type terminal because it puts more metal surfaces in contact with each
other.

The National Fire Protection Association (they write the National Electrical
Code) has a project underway to see what happens as house wiring ages.
It's got some years to go, but the results will help answer questions like
yours.

TKM

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oscar_Lives

"Jeff" wrote in message
I have had several push in connections fail in my house. This how the
house was constructed. The vacuum cleaner caused most of them. Of not in
the plug it was plugged into, but further "upstream" which took some
detective work to find.

They should have been pigtailed instead of daisychained.

"Robert11" wrote in message
news
Hello:

Have to replace a light switch.

Was wondering:

Are the switches with the push-in wire connections option as good and as
reliable
as using the conventional screw terminals ?

What's the history on re reliability, danger due to arcing, etc. ?

This would be for a simple on-off for a kitchen light.
Perhaps 300 watts or so.

Thanks,
B.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do not use the push in type unless you are using spec grade type where
you push it in and screw down a plate on it (as described above).

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Robert11" wrote in message
news
Hello:

Have to replace a light switch.

Was wondering:

Are the switches with the push-in wire connections option as good and as
reliable
as using the conventional screw terminals ?

What's the history on re reliability, danger due to arcing, etc. ?

This would be for a simple on-off for a kitchen light.
Perhaps 300 watts or so.

Thanks,
B.

Gee with these answers, I wonder how the manufactures get a UL listing with
the push in connection?

I use the push in for light loads, like the one you described. I do not use
them for outlets. I can and do plug some heavy loads into outlets
occasionally. Pushin connections are not used with AL wire and you need a
special device rated for AL wire. (just in case)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT

Oscar_Lives wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message

I have had several push in connections fail in my house. This how the
house was constructed. The vacuum cleaner caused most of them. Of not in
the plug it was plugged into, but further "upstream" which took some
detective work to find.

They should have been pigtailed instead of daisychained.

Pigtailing is indeed best practice but with the exception of the
neutrals of multi wire branch circuits it is not required.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband

I don't think the clamps are nearly as good as screw terminals; it is
simply much easier for them to pull out.

True, but there usually isn't any "pulling" force inside an electrical box.
And even with #14 wire, they clamp down rather tight.

In any case, I usually use the standard screw terminal devices just because
of the cost.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

HerHusband wrote:

I don't think the clamps are nearly as good as screw terminals; it is
simply much easier for them to pull out.

True, but there usually isn't any "pulling" force inside an electrical box.
And even with #14 wire, they clamp down rather tight.

In any case, I usually use the standard screw terminal devices just because
of the cost.

Anthony

At best, I don't think the push-ins have as much metal-to-metal contact
as a screw with a wire wrapped around it and tightened down.