Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter R.

Default Sound equipment installation

Sorry, if this is the wrong group. Maybe you can re-direct me. Thanks

I am building a built-in stereo system, with wires running in the walls. I
have a good set of stereo speakers, connected to my main stereo amplifier.

Question: Can I permanently connect this set of speakers to another set of
wires from another amplifier in another room? Normally, the speakers would
be powered only by one amplifier at a time.

Would this connection cause any damage to the speakers or to the amplifiers.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier

You would change the impedance of the speakers by sharing it with 2
amps, which would result in poor sound output, not to mention
overloading the amps.. They do make A/B switches which allow you to
switch between amps.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Walter R. wrote:

Sorry, if this is the wrong group. Maybe you can re-direct me. Thanks

I am building a built-in stereo system, with wires running in the walls. I
have a good set of stereo speakers, connected to my main stereo amplifier.

Question: Can I permanently connect this set of speakers to another set of
wires from another amplifier in another room? Normally, the speakers would
be powered only by one amplifier at a time.

Would this connection cause any damage to the speakers or to the amplifiers.

Hi,
First there are amps which has zones; like zone A, B, C. etc. With this
you can drive each or all zones as you wish. If you parallel hook up
speakers, the amps' load impedance halvens which means it can
permanently dmamage your amp. If you parallel two 8 Ohm speakers, load
impedance becomes 4 Ohms. In this case your amp better be able to take 4
Ohm load. Today's good solid state amps can take load from 2 Ohms and up
usually. But I would not take chance at 2 Ohms, 4 Ohm is safe bet
specially if you play loud. Also there is so called in-wall speakers for
in-wall installation. My home theater is driven by Yamaha a/v receiver
which has multi zone output. Main room has 7.1 surrounds, den has 5.1
surrounds I can control remotely.
Probably you should visit home theater NG. Not knowing your speaker, amp
specifics, I can't be more helpful to you.
Good luck,
Tony, VE6CGX
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

No, amplifiers could be damaged. You could take the line out (tape deck
output) from one amp and input it to the line in (tape in) input to the amp
near the speakers, try not to route the cables close to ac lines to avoid
hum pickup.

"Walter R." wrote in message
Sorry, if this is the wrong group. Maybe you can re-direct me. Thanks

I am building a built-in stereo system, with wires running in the walls. I
have a good set of stereo speakers, connected to my main stereo amplifier.

Question: Can I permanently connect this set of speakers to another set of
wires from another amplifier in another room? Normally, the speakers
would be powered only by one amplifier at a time.

Would this connection cause any damage to the speakers or to the
amplifiers.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry to top post but from your description of what you intend to do
you would be effectively hooking the outputs of the two amps to each
other. This could result in both outputs being blown should they be on
at the same time. There are selector switches as other posters
mentioned. You should refer to the amp specs to see if operating
unloaded would be a problem.
Richard

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Walter R. wrote:

Sorry, if this is the wrong group. Maybe you can re-direct me. Thanks

I am building a built-in stereo system, with wires running in the walls. I
have a good set of stereo speakers, connected to my main stereo amplifier.

Question: Can I permanently connect this set of speakers to another set of
wires from another amplifier in another room? Normally, the speakers would
be powered only by one amplifier at a time.

Would this connection cause any damage to the speakers or to the amplifiers.

I agree with the others -- this is a bad idea. Some amplifiers might
have output stages that would tolerate the abuse, but you risk blowing
out one or both, and the sound will likely be terrible.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 17:33:46 GMT, "Walter R."
wrote:

Sorry, if this is the wrong group. Maybe you can re-direct me. Thanks

I am building a built-in stereo system, with wires running in the walls. I
have a good set of stereo speakers, connected to my main stereo amplifier.

Question: Can I permanently connect this set of speakers to another set of
wires from another amplifier in another room? Normally, the speakers would
be powered only by one amplifier at a time.

Would this connection cause any damage to the speakers or to the amplifiers.

It could damage one or both amplifiers, and would not sound right
(impedance mismatch).

I had a situation like that once. I connected a DPDT switch to the
amplifier's outputs (so only one would be connected at a time).
Amplifiers SHOULD be protected from no-load operation, but to be safe
don't turn on the amp that's not connected to the speakers.

Then, you could make that a 4PDT switch (or a DPDT for each channel)
with dummy load resistors (don't forget about power here).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com