Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Default 1860 house attic needing to insulated

NICKODEMOS wrote:
Hell all. Did a search on here and found some answers but not all. So
here goes my questions.

The house was built in the 1860's. Doing an attic where I will be
insulating the walls and ceiling (cathedral I think it is called). It
will be against the old clap board siding with it's many tiny holes in
it. So how would I go about making it air tight before I put the
insulation in the walls? Or should I?

Live in the Indianapolis area so any special needs? Vapor barrior?

Also someone said something about putting in soffet? And something
about the bottem 12" remaining free of the insulation for venting.

Anyways I am looking for all information I can get since I am doing
this for an older lady from my church and don't want to screw it up.

Oh and if you have some link that would be great.

Nickodemos

1860?

I'd see if the local historical preservation society wouldn't be
interested - you could probably get architectual advice for free. If you can
CLAIM U.S. Grant slept there or the house was a way-station on the
Underground Railroad, you might be able to get grant money from the
government.*

=======
*Years ago, my city wanted to give a little old lady $200 each for five old
oak trees whose removal was necessary to widen the road. She asserted the
trees were hand-planted by King Gustav V to commemorate the city's Swedish
citizens who lost their lives in the Great War of 1917. And the trees WERE
on the National Historical Registry (due to an earlier claim). The city
didn't get out for a paltry $1000. I think they moved the road.

1860 house attic needing to insulated Colbyt Home Repair 3 December 16th 05 10:15 PM
1860 house attic needing to insulated buffalobill Home Repair 0 December 16th 05 03:40 AM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
AC ducts in attic accumulate water in winter David Home Repair 9 October 20th 04 09:42 PM
Insulated roof as part of TV house refurbishment Bluestars UK diy 12 September 22nd 03 08:45 PM