Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

Default fluidmaster toilet valves again

you may have existing water hammer chambers already installed in your
house that simply are flooded. this website discusses that and how to
drain them at:
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...infwatham.shtm

Posted to alt.home.repair
jaynews

you may have existing water hammer chambers already installed in your
house that simply are flooded. this website discusses that and how to
drain them at:
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infplumb/infwatham.shtm

Tried that. Did not help.

Called Fluidmaster. They're sending me the "Whisper valve" version which
has restricted flow. Is there any chance the Whisper model WON"T solve the
problem? If so, then maybe I should just go ahead and buy the a Korky
QuietFill though. I'd hate to spend the time installing the Whisper valve
only to find I STILL get the thunk.

J.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

jaynews wrote:
you may have existing water hammer chambers already installed in your
house that simply are flooded. this website discusses that and how to
drain them at:
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infplumb/infwatham.shtm

Tried that. Did not help.

Called Fluidmaster. They're sending me the "Whisper valve" version which
has restricted flow. Is there any chance the Whisper model WON"T solve the
problem? If so, then maybe I should just go ahead and buy the a Korky
QuietFill though. I'd hate to spend the time installing the Whisper valve
only to find I STILL get the thunk.

Listen, the flipping part is $10 and it'll take you a half hour to swap
out if you take a coffee break in the middle. You're dicking around on
a newsgroup, people have given you all sorts of good advice, and you're
still asking about the other valve. What are you looking for? A
guaranty? Okay, I solemnly swear that the Korky Quietfill will solve
all your problems. Just do it, fer cryin' out loud!

Posted to alt.home.repair
jaynews

Ok, I hear you. One reason for the hesitation is that there is some doubt
as to whether the "thunk" noise (vibrating pipes) that I'm hearing is REALLY
a severe enough hammer to be doing the pipes any harm. Some people were
telling me that a "thunk" noise of vibrating pipes at shutoff is harmless,
while others insist that it is bad for the pipes.

While the pipes upstream are vibrating enough to make a thunk noise, the
vibrations don't make it all the way back to the beginning of the water line
in the basement (2 floors down). The vibrations only make it down one
floor. The hammer is a noticeable thunk noise but not horrendously lound.
The toilet bowl itself does not seem to vibrate when it happens.

If there is no quick/easy way a homeowner could determine for sure if the
thunk noise is REALLY a problem, then agree that I should just shut up and
get the Korky tomorrow and install it to be on the safe side (in case the
hammer is really a problem), and to put this issue to rest.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

jaynews wrote:
you may have existing water hammer chambers already installed in your
house that simply are flooded. this website discusses that and how to
drain them at:
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infplumb/infwatham.shtm

Tried that. Did not help.

Called Fluidmaster. They're sending me the "Whisper valve" version which
has restricted flow. Is there any chance the Whisper model WON"T solve the
problem? If so, then maybe I should just go ahead and buy the a Korky
QuietFill though. I'd hate to spend the time installing the Whisper valve
only to find I STILL get the thunk.

J.

You could have changed it 3 times in the amount of
time you spent here.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob S.

jaynews wrote:
[...]

I'd be less concerned about the pipes and more concerned about the
cheap-assed plastic that Fluidmaster uses. I had one physically break
when we were out of town for a few days - had 10,000 gallons of water
run through the house. Cost $3800 for house restoration. Plumbers say
they see Fluidmaster products break all the time. I use nothing but
brass now.

Bob S.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 13 Dec 2005 19:36:11 -0800, "Bob S." wrote:

I'd be less concerned about the pipes and more concerned about the
cheap-assed plastic that Fluidmaster uses. I had one physically break
when we were out of town for a few days - had 10,000 gallons of water
run through the house. Cost $3800 for house restoration. Plumbers say

Wow. In another thread I pondered what my next leak would be. I
guess you've told me.

they see Fluidmaster products break all the time. I use nothing but
brass now.

I guess I'm going to have to change them.

Bob S.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 00:13:24 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

jaynews wrote:
you may have existing water hammer chambers already installed in your
house that simply are flooded. this website discusses that and how to
drain them at:
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infplumb/infwatham.shtm

Tried that. Did not help.

Called Fluidmaster. They're sending me the "Whisper valve" version which
has restricted flow. Is there any chance the Whisper model WON"T solve the
problem? If so, then maybe I should just go ahead and buy the a Korky
QuietFill though. I'd hate to spend the time installing the Whisper valve
only to find I STILL get the thunk.

J.

You could have changed it 3 times in the amount of
time you spent here.

Does he realize they have a bayonet mount?