DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   The future of heating?? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/135551-re-future-heating.html)

HeyBub December 13th 05 04:56 PM

The future of heating??

wrote:
Hi,

I am in the process of upgrading my heating from electricity to
something else.

I am pretty much settled on getting a pellet stove for several
reasons.

Fuel is relatively cheap compared to others except maybe wood.
It is automatic, only needs to be filled with pellets, very efficient,
extremely environment friendly, no mess.

It has drawbacks as well but I can live with them.

I am also looking at the future.

To me it looks like oil/gas will continue to increase steadily, while
I dont forsee the same for wood/pellets. Sure it will increase as
well, but not as bad imo.

But, I would like to read your opinion, what is the fuel of the future
for heating mostly pricewise?

Petroleum and its derivatives. Oil prices fluctuate in about ten-year
cycles. We're now at a peak, it's downhill from here. Note that even at
current prices, oil takes the lowest portion of our disposable income in
history.

Steve Kraus December 14th 05 03:28 AM

The future of heating??

HeyBub wrote:
Petroleum and its derivatives. Oil prices fluctuate in about ten-year
cycles. We're now at a peak, it's downhill from here.

I don't know if I would bet on that. With China developing a voracious
appetite for oil as it industrializes and automobile ownership there
skyrockets* prices are going to go up. They may drop in the short term
because indeed there are cycles and short term things affecting prices but
the average price over the long haul will go up, possibly drastically.

*China...gunpowder...skyrockets...hehehe