Posted to alt.home.repair
Chas12

Default Odd size door alternative

Hi Gang, thanks for your advice on my former post. I want to put in a good,
solid wood door, but I have a French Cottage style house, and a plain door
would not look good. (btw, the current door is hollow plastic). I don't want
a six panel door because the wood is so thin on the panels.
So I have 2 alternatives:
Get a solid door and try to make it decorative somehow...OR
Build my own door.

any ideas?
Thanks,
Chas

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

"Chas12" wrote in message
news : Hi Gang, thanks for your advice on my former post. I want to
put in a good,
: solid wood door, but I have a French Cottage style house, and a
plain door
: would not look good. (btw, the current door is hollow plastic).
I don't want
: a six panel door because the wood is so thin on the panels.
: So I have 2 alternatives:
: Get a solid door and try to make it decorative somehow...OR
: Build my own door.
:
: any ideas?
: Thanks,
: Chas
:
:
Grab a flat door, add trim to be what you want, even imitate
panels if you want, and finish to your liking?
Building a whole door leads to some interesting problems if
you aren't experienced.

Pop

Posted to alt.home.repair
rider89

normally they can be dressed up pretty well with moldings, medallions, etc
on the surface.
there's some websites that specialize in architectural decorations.

hth
bill

"Chas12" wrote in message
news
Hi Gang, thanks for your advice on my former post. I want to put in a
good, solid wood door, but I have a French Cottage style house, and a
plain door would not look good. (btw, the current door is hollow plastic).
I don't want a six panel door because the wood is so thin on the panels.
So I have 2 alternatives:
Get a solid door and try to make it decorative somehow...OR
Build my own door.

any ideas?
Thanks,
Chas

Posted to alt.home.repair
yourname

"Chas12" wrote in message
news
Hi Gang, thanks for your advice on my former post. I want to put in a
good, solid wood door, but I have a French Cottage style house, and a
plain door would not look good. (btw, the current door is hollow
plastic). I don't want a six panel door because the wood is so thin on
the panels.
So I have 2 alternatives:
Get a solid door and try to make it decorative somehow...OR
Build my own door.

any ideas?
Thanks,
Chas

There are custom door places on the web, really not too bad, used them
for a house full.......interiordoors.com, not perfect, but reasonable
for what they were, a fraction of the Brosco price