Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon

Default Siding that has lost its lock.

Hey all..

I have some siding on the house that has lost the 'lock' and isn't tight.

What is the best way to fix this? Screws? or is there another method that
is less noticeable that would prevent moisture from getting in.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Jon wrote:
Hey all..

I have some siding on the house that has lost the 'lock' and isn't tight.

What is the best way to fix this? Screws? or is there another method that
is less noticeable that would prevent moisture from getting in.

It would help if you told us what sort of siding you have, and why you
think moisture is getting in. Details, man!

Posted to alt.home.repair

And ... how do you know the problem is moisture getting in, vice
allowing moisture a way out? Clue: #2 of the above is important-
providing exit path for water _vapor_. If _liquid_ water is getting in
from outside, somebody really messed up.

In fact the siding is there to protect the sheathing and whatever
barrier is installed over it. Is it doing that? Is it a risk to fall
on someone? Is any of the sheating/siding/trim/etc threatened by water
infiltration from outside? Are you in Phoenix? Seattle? Tell a story,
concisely, please. Or you'll receive little useful info.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon

I don't know what kind of siding I have. I recently purchased the home.

The siding is coming away from the house in one section. It isn't locked in
tightly to the other pieces that are above and below it. I think moisture
is getting in because of the space between the siding and the wall!!

I am wondering if it is just as simple and taking some screws and screwing
the siding back onto the walls of the house, or is there a different way.

I tried fastening the siding back it, but something has happened and it
won't lock in.

I am in Eastern Canada.

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jon wrote:
Hey all..

I have some siding on the house that has lost the 'lock' and isn't

tight.

What is the best way to fix this? Screws? or is there another method

that
is less noticeable that would prevent moisture from getting in.

It would help if you told us what sort of siding you have, and why you
think moisture is getting in. Details, man!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can you provide a picture?
That's your only chance at this distance.

TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick

"Jon" wrote in message
I don't know what kind of siding I have. I recently purchased the

home.

The siding is coming away from the house in one section. It isn't

locked in
tightly to the other pieces that are above and below it. I think

moisture
is getting in because of the space between the siding and the wall!!

I am wondering if it is just as simple and taking some screws and

screwing
the siding back onto the walls of the house, or is there a different

way.

I tried fastening the siding back it, but something has happened and

it
won't lock in.

I am in Eastern Canada.

If it's vinyl siding you may not be able to lock it unless you use a
zip tool. You can get one at Home Depot.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Jon wrote:
I don't know what kind of siding I have. I recently purchased the home.

The siding is coming away from the house in one section. It isn't locked in
tightly to the other pieces that are above and below it. I think moisture
is getting in because of the space between the siding and the wall!!

I am wondering if it is just as simple and taking some screws and screwing
the siding back onto the walls of the house, or is there a different way.

I tried fastening the siding back it, but something has happened and it
won't lock in.

I am in Eastern Canada.

Is it metal, plastic, wood? Use WORDS to describe it. Use as many as
necessary. If you want the doctor to help you, you have to tell him
your symptoms. Throw us a bone, fer cryin' out loud!

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you dont know what it is, you really should hire someone to do the
work. I mean most people can at least identify if it's wood, plywood,
vinyl (plastic), some sort of metal, or another substance.

I have a feeling it's vinyl, and you DO NOT want to run screws thru
that stuff.

-----------------

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 00:59:51 GMT, "Jon" wrote:

I don't know what kind of siding I have. I recently purchased the home.

The siding is coming away from the house in one section. It isn't locked in
tightly to the other pieces that are above and below it. I think moisture
is getting in because of the space between the siding and the wall!!

I am wondering if it is just as simple and taking some screws and screwing
the siding back onto the walls of the house, or is there a different way.

I tried fastening the siding back it, but something has happened and it
won't lock in.

I am in Eastern Canada.

"RicodJour" wrote in message
roups.com...
Jon wrote:
Hey all..

I have some siding on the house that has lost the 'lock' and isn't

tight.

What is the best way to fix this? Screws? or is there another method

that
is less noticeable that would prevent moisture from getting in.

It would help if you told us what sort of siding you have, and why you
think moisture is getting in. Details, man!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Dec 2005 19:53:54 -0800, "RicodJour"
wrote:

Jon wrote:
I don't know what kind of siding I have. I recently purchased the home.

The siding is coming away from the house in one section. It isn't locked in
tightly to the other pieces that are above and below it. I think moisture
is getting in because of the space between the siding and the wall!!

I am wondering if it is just as simple and taking some screws and screwing
the siding back onto the walls of the house, or is there a different way.

I tried fastening the siding back it, but something has happened and it
won't lock in.

I am in Eastern Canada.

Is it metal, plastic, wood? Use WORDS to describe it. Use as many as
necessary. If you want the doctor to help you, you have to tell him
your symptoms. Throw us a bone, fer cryin' out loud!

ROFL
I agree.....

Lets see,,,,,
Since this is alt.home.repair, my home needs a repair. I'm not sure
what needs to be repaired, but could someone please tell me how to
repair my home.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon

Yes vinyl siding..

It was already suggested to me by somone local to put screws in it with a
bit of silicon sealing.

"Jon" wrote in message
Hey all..

I have some siding on the house that has lost the 'lock' and isn't tight.

What is the best way to fix this? Screws? or is there another method that
is less noticeable that would prevent moisture from getting in.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Jon wrote:
Yes vinyl siding..

It was already suggested to me by somone local to put screws in it with a
bit of silicon sealing.

That person that gave you the advice...? Ignore them from now on.

If the siding was installed correctly, you can use a zip tool. This
link will help understand how it works: http://tinyurl.com/7nsa9

If the siding wasn't installed correctly, there's not a lot you can do
about it without removing the siding - as much as necessary - and
reinstalling it.

Jon, let me give you a little advice, free of charge. If you don't
give FULL descriptions of what the problem is, to the best of your
ability, it can be very frustrating for people that are trying to help
you to GUESS what you are talking about. Instead of saying something
like I have some siding with gaps, what can I do to fix it? Say
something like I have some vinyl (if you don't know what vinyl is say
plastic) siding and there are gaps along the bottom of each piece - how
can I reattach the pieces so moisture won't get in and in a way that
won't damage my siding? No one will have a problem with too much
information unless you are rambling and repeating yourself.
Understand?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Jon wrote: