Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stinkin, but brand new 5 brick natural gas radiant heater.

I've got a large, open shop (1100 sq ft), insulated, 8 ft ceiling and
this new heater smells. It's been used for a couple of weeks so it's
not a new smell, but that of unburned gas, I imagine. The pilot is
nice and blue and it heats OK. This is a radiant type, no open flame.
What's goin on? There is no smell when the unit is off, so it's not a
leak on the line side of the valve.
Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

wrote in message
I've got a large, open shop (1100 sq ft), insulated, 8 ft ceiling and
this new heater smells. It's been used for a couple of weeks so it's
not a new smell, but that of unburned gas, I imagine. The pilot is
nice and blue and it heats OK. This is a radiant type, no open flame.
What's goin on? There is no smell when the unit is off, so it's not a
leak on the line side of the valve.

Did you pull all the protective plastic film off the shiny parts, when you
assembled it out of the box? :^/

Seriously, no good ideas, unless maybe it is poorly baked paint in the thing
cooking. All my life, at the start of heating season, that burning dust
smell was a sign of the changing seasons, and almost welcome after the cold
outdoors. It doesn't take much material to make a stink- a single glob of
lube or sealant on a hot surface can stink up a whole house. I'd fieldstrip
the thing, and wipe down all the heating and heated surfaces with a
no-residue solvent, and reassemble.

aem sends...

Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 01:57 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Repair 57 April 2nd 04 10:51 PM
Electric Water Heater Problem, Repair or Buy new, please help Robert Home Repair 10 January 10th 04 01:09 AM
Cost to install gas hot water heater Walleye Home Ownership 8 September 10th 03 03:20 AM