Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler

Default Kitchen sprayer head

I'm fed up with the cheap plastic units sold by the borgs/Ace hardware, etc.
They either crack at the lever pivot point or won't shut off properly when
the lever is released. Anyone know of a good metal unit? I've Googled for
them, but no joy.
TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich Greenberg

In article ,
PanHandler wrote:
I'm fed up with the cheap plastic units sold by the borgs/Ace hardware, etc.
They either crack at the lever pivot point or won't shut off properly when
the lever is released. Anyone know of a good metal unit? I've Googled for
them, but no joy.

I have never had one crack on me unless I abuse it like dropping something
on it. Just be a bit more gentle with them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler

"Rich Greenberg" wrote in message
In article ,
PanHandler wrote:
I'm fed up with the cheap plastic units sold by the borgs/Ace hardware,
etc.
They either crack at the lever pivot point or won't shut off properly when
the lever is released. Anyone know of a good metal unit? I've Googled for
them, but no joy.

I have never had one crack on me unless I abuse it like dropping something
on it. Just be a bit more gentle with them.

I've never dropped them or used them harshly in any way. They just don't
seem to last more than a few months. The plastic pins on which the lever
pivots are only about 1/16" diameter by 1/16" long. With every one I've ever
had fail, either at the pins or elsewhere, were all built the same way.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

. ..

PanHandler wrote:
I'm fed up with the cheap plastic units sold by the borgs/Ace hardware,
etc.
They either crack at the lever pivot point or won't shut off properly

when
the lever is released. Anyone know of a good metal unit? I've Googled

for
them, but no joy.

I have never had one crack on me unless I abuse it like dropping

something
on it. Just be a bit more gentle with them.

I've never dropped them or used them harshly in any way. They just don't
seem to last more than a few months. The plastic pins on which the lever
pivots are only about 1/16" diameter by 1/16" long. With every one I've

ever
had fail, either at the pins or elsewhere, were all built the same way.

I think I've had maybe one fail like you described in 30 years of doing
repairs for relatives. Most of the ones I have replaced were limed up, or
the hose failed and it was 2 bucks more to replace the whole thing instead
of just the hose. From here, looks like you ARE harder on them than a
typical household user.

Fill the hole with a plug or a soap dispenser, and get yourself an
arm-mounted hanging commercial/restaurant spray head, with the big spring
and the metal lever. The borg won't have it- you'll need to go to a real
plumbing supply. You'll have to get inventive on how to mount it pretty and
get the water up to it.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

PanHandler wrote:

I'm fed up with the cheap plastic units sold by the borgs/Ace hardware, etc.
They either crack at the lever pivot point or won't shut off properly when
the lever is released. Anyone know of a good metal unit? I've Googled for
them, but no joy.
TIA

Ease your squeeze and they won't break at the pivot.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
PanHandler wrote:

I'm fed up with the cheap plastic units sold by the borgs/Ace hardware,
etc. They either crack at the lever pivot point or won't shut off
properly when the lever is released. Anyone know of a good metal unit?
I've Googled for them, but no joy.
TIA

Ease your squeeze and they won't break at the pivot.

Well the concensus seems to indicate it's MY fault, and I guess it's
possible. BUT - has anyone ever seen the pivot pins in these thngs? They're
rediculously small plastic things - smaller than 1/16 x 1/16

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich Greenberg

PanHandler wrote:

I'm fed up with the cheap plastic units sold by the borgs/Ace hardware,
etc. They either crack at the lever pivot point or won't shut off
properly when the lever is released. Anyone know of a good metal unit?
I've Googled for them, but no joy.
TIA

Ease your squeeze and they won't break at the pivot.

Well the concensus seems to indicate it's MY fault, and I guess it's
possible. BUT - has anyone ever seen the pivot pins in these thngs? They're
rediculously small plastic things - smaller than 1/16 x 1/16

Since most of us have never broken one, draw your own conclusions.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

PanHandler wrote:

I'm fed up with the cheap plastic units sold by the borgs/Ace hardware,
etc. They either crack at the lever pivot point or won't shut off
properly when the lever is released. Anyone know of a good metal unit?
I've Googled for them, but no joy.
TIA

Ease your squeeze and they won't break at the pivot.

Well the concensus seems to indicate it's MY fault, and I guess it's
possible. BUT - has anyone ever seen the pivot pins in these thngs? They're
rediculously small plastic things - smaller than 1/16 x 1/16

Any chance you could replace it/them with a some brass rod?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

PanHandler wrote:

I'm fed up with the cheap plastic units sold by the borgs/Ace hardware,
etc. They either crack at the lever pivot point or won't shut off
properly when the lever is released. Anyone know of a good metal unit?
I've Googled for them, but no joy.
TIA
Ease your squeeze and they won't break at the pivot.

Well the concensus seems to indicate it's MY fault, and I guess it's
possible. BUT - has anyone ever seen the pivot pins in these thngs?
They're
rediculously small plastic things - smaller than 1/16 x 1/16

Since most of us have never broken one, draw your own conclusions.

'Most' of us is exactly three people. Kind of a small sample, don't you
think?

Posted to alt.home.repair

PanHandler wrote:

I'm fed up with the cheap plastic units sold by the borgs/Ace hardware,
etc. They either crack at the lever pivot point or won't shut off
properly when the lever is released. Anyone know of a good metal unit?
I've Googled for them, but no joy.
TIA

Ease your squeeze and they won't break at the pivot.

Well the concensus seems to indicate it's MY fault, and I guess it's
possible. BUT - has anyone ever seen the pivot pins in these thngs?
They're rediculously small plastic things - smaller than 1/16 x 1/16

Any chance you could replace it/them with a some brass rod?

I'm looking into that now. I don't have any brass that small, but I know
where to get some small stainless pieces. I'm getting ready to photograph
the guilty areas and post them on my website. Stay tuned :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler

"PanHandler" wrote in message
.. .

I'm looking into that now. I don't have any brass that small, but I know
where to get some small stainless pieces. I'm getting ready to photograph
the guilty areas and post them on my website. Stay tuned :-)

Go he http://public.fotki.com/PanHandler/miscellaneous/

and see pics # 11 & # 12

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

PanHandler wrote:
"PanHandler" wrote in message
.. .

I'm looking into that now. I don't have any brass that small, but I know
where to get some small stainless pieces. I'm getting ready to photograph
the guilty areas and post them on my website. Stay tuned :-)

Go he http://public.fotki.com/PanHandler/miscellaneous/

and see pics # 11 & # 12

Persistance will pay off!

I've only used black colored spray nozzles, have you looked to see if
the black ones have a different design? Maybe you could live with
another color.

I noticed you're in the Eglin AFB Modeler's Club.

I spent a fair amount of time in the 60s as a civvy boy engineer/wannabe
scientist firing upper atmosphere measuring instrument on small rockets
from the old Bomac (sp?) anti aircraft missile test range there. We used
to stay at a motel In Ft. Walton Beach named the Blue Horizon, which we
always called the "Blue Whore". Izzit still there?

I got a real kick seeing a rusty German V-1 Buzz Bomb lying in the sand
on that firing range. Never thought I'd have an opportunity to see one
of those in the flesh.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

Persistance will pay off!

I've only used black colored spray nozzles, have you looked to see if the
black ones have a different design? Maybe you could live with another
color.

I noticed you're in the Eglin AFB Modeler's Club.

I spent a fair amount of time in the 60s as a civvy boy engineer/wannabe
scientist firing upper atmosphere measuring instrument on small rockets
from the old Bomac (sp?) anti aircraft missile test range there. We used
to stay at a motel In Ft. Walton Beach named the Blue Horizon, which we
always called the "Blue Whore". Izzit still there?

I got a real kick seeing a rusty German V-1 Buzz Bomb lying in the sand on
that firing range. Never thought I'd have an opportunity to see one of
those in the flesh.

I'm not a member of the club, and was in the area on business. I happened to
see them from the road and took a few pics which I posted for them to
download. I don't remember ever seeing that motel, and the area has really
developed into a busy, congested region of the panhandle.
I've seen and installed the black sprayers for others, and except for the
color they appear identical. Since the 'shell' on mine is cracked I'll just
get another one - probably black. On an OT note, I include this:

"I spoke to a friend who is the CEO of a bicycle manufacturer about his
dealings with Wal-Mart. He said he's happy to sell to them, but only on
condition that his company's name does not appear on the product, because
of what he's forced to do in order to meet their pricing policies.
Example: fewer spokes in the wheels, vinyl instead of leather saddles,
plastic where metal should be used, unsmoothed welds, no primer, less paint,
etc. You only get what you pay for. A great majority of Wal-Mart merchandise
is built to a price point, rather than a quality/feature level."

As a matter of convenience, I've been buying the sprayers from Wal-Mart.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich Greenberg

In article ,
PanHandler wrote:

As a matter of convenience, I've been buying the sprayers from Wal-Mart.

Then try the Borg or even better a real plumbing supply place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

PanHandler wrote:

As a matter of convenience, I've been buying the sprayers from Wal-Mart.

Then try the Borg or even better a real plumbing supply place.

I've looked at the ones at the Borgs (thru the blister pak) and they appear
to be the same as Wal-Mart's, tho I don't remember brand names. When I asked
about heavy duty or metal ones, their eyes crossed and they made funny
noises.

Posted to alt.home.repair
philkryder

Have you considered trying one of the pull-out faucets with a hose and
sprayer.
The one I have uses a little push-button.
It is a Moen and I think it has a lifetime warranty and it has worked
well so far.