Posted to alt.home.repair
BobtheTeacher

Default Wood Stove Venting

Baby it's cold
outside!

I have a small, 15,000 btu wood stove. It's in great shape and I would
like to place it in my furnace room of a split-level home. The walls
are all block. Problem: Venting it!

Can I add a "T" or "Y" pipe to my existing oil fired furnace stove
pipe just before it exits into the chimney? This would allow me to
vent the small wood stove up the same chimney flue the furnace and
H2O heater use.

What are your thoughts on this.

We're cold on the lower level

Thanks for your ideas

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill

When I installed my woodstove, everything was driven by my insurance
company. To have my house covered in case of a fire caused by the woodstove,
I had to do all work to building codes and to the woodstove manufacturer's
specs and the chimney manufacturers specs.

So after reading the woodstove installation instructions and chimney
installation instructions, I went and asked my local building inspector
questions about what I could and could not do.

Then I got a permit, had my work inspected by building inspector, then by my
insurance company.

So bottom line, read the installation instructions for your specific model
of woodstove and/or call the manufacturer. Then ask your local building
inspector and insurance company. (If you want your home covered in case of
fire.)

"BobtheTeacher" wrote in message
Baby it's cold
outside!

I have a small, 15,000 btu wood stove. It's in great shape and I would
like to place it in my furnace room of a split-level home. The walls
are all block. Problem: Venting it!

Can I add a "T" or "Y" pipe to my existing oil fired furnace stove
pipe just before it exits into the chimney? This would allow me to
vent the small wood stove up the same chimney flue the furnace and
H2O heater use.

What are your thoughts on this.

We're cold on the lower level

Thanks for your ideas

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"BobtheTeacher" wrote in message
Can I add a "T" or "Y" pipe to my existing oil fired furnace stove
pipe just before it exits into the chimney? This would allow me to
vent the small wood stove up the same chimney flue the furnace and
H2O heater use.

What are your thoughts on this.

I"ve seen hacked jobs like that. Most (maybe all) codes require a flue for
each appliance. If the oil burner puts unburned fuel into the flue, your
woodstove could ignite them. Sort of like making your chimney into a jet
engine afterburner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobtheTeacher wrote:

I have a small, 15,000 btu wood stove...
What are your thoughts on this.

What will you do when it runs out of Btus?

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

NO! Two items on one chimney steals the draft or draw from the other
reducing the ability of either to have the smoke removed. It is against
code. Only a gas water heater is allowed to share a chimney with a gas
furnace.