Posted to alt.home.repair
HotRod

Default Any Case Mini-loader owners here

I've googled for a long time now and can't find any information that I need.
I have a Case 1825 (Bobcat) loader that will not start when it is cold, it's
a gas engine and I'm wondering a few things so if there are any owners here
that can help that would be great.

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

Not an owner, but I've worked on gas engines before, including Bobcat
and other small equipment. Is the engine turning over when it's not
starting? If so, is there spark? How about fuel?

Posted to alt.home.repair
HotRod

The engine doesn't move, I was wondering if maybe there was a relay or
something that could be effected by the cold? Where would I look?

Posted to alt.home.repair
josh

"HotRod" wrote
The engine doesn't move, I was wondering if maybe there was a relay or
something that could be effected by the cold? Where would I look?

We run 2 Gehl's & 1 JD, but they are diesel. Sounds like maybe you just
have a dead battery ) . Kind of hard to diagnose over the net.

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

Before you do that, have you checked the battery? Cold weather will
sap a battery that's marginal and near the end of it's life (please
note it may have enough juice to power up the indicator
lights/buzzers/etc, but still may not turn the starter). Relays are
usually affected by heat, not a lack of it, so that wouldn't be my
first thing to look at (it's not impossible, but it's not my first
suspect).

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

HotRod wrote:
The engine doesn't move, I was wondering if maybe there was a relay or
something that could be effected by the cold? Where would I look?

Yes. No reasonable switch can handle the load imposed by a starter motor,
maybe 100 amps.

So, the starter switch really activates a starter solenoid which, in turn,
completes the circuit from the battery to the starter motor.

Follow the positive lead from the battery. It will go to one side of a
smallish cylinder (~2x4"). Another heavy cable goes from the other side of
this cylinder to the starter motor. It is this cylinder - called the starter
solenoid - that's probably at fault (they rust internally, stick, corrode,
or otherwise just quit). Replace it. Less than $10 at the auto parts store.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HotRod

I'll have to wait till it starts acting up again to test it. THANKS for the
suggestions

oups.com...

HD foam for laptop case? T i m UK diy 42 April 23rd 04 02:59 PM
Sawdust inside carrying case of new PC 557? Dale Woodworking 29 December 24th 03 12:47 AM
*** Mini FAQ for Rec.Woodworking *** 139 David F. Eisan Woodworking 13 November 30th 03 08:20 AM
*** Mini FAQ *** 138 David F. Eisan Woodworking 1 November 23rd 03 07:15 PM
jet mini stand question Walker Woodturning 8 November 7th 03 08:50 PM