Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dielectric union needed on chrome MIP Sillcocks?

I'm installing frostproof sillcocks as part of a larger project to
replace old galvanized with copper.

Do I need a dielectric union to connect copper to the chrome sillcocks'
threaded connection? I've noticed in various plumbing books similar
chromed fittings in bathroom fixtures connected directly to copper.

Thanks for your help!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm installing frostproof sillcocks as part of a larger project to
replace old galvanized with copper.

Do I need a dielectric union to connect copper to the chrome sillcocks'
threaded connection? I've noticed in various plumbing books similar
chromed fittings in bathroom fixtures connected directly to copper.

Thanks for your help!

I put allot of sillcocks, flussomiters, other bathroom fixtures. Never once
with a dielectric nipple or union. Now allot of these are made of brass with
a chrome wrapper. most the time you put a MIP or Drop eared 90ty then a
brass nipple. The MIP is back in the wall a couple inches then use the right
size nipple to connect the Sillcock or what ever. The brass is supposed to
be a neutral metal.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message
. net...

I put allot of sillcocks, flussomiters, other bathroom fixtures. Never
once
with a dielectric nipple or union. Now allot of these are made of brass
with
a chrome wrapper. most the time you put a MIP or Drop eared 90ty then a
brass nipple. The MIP is back in the wall a couple inches then use the
right
size nipple to connect the Sillcock or what ever. The brass is supposed to
be a neutral metal.

What the devil does allot mean?

Posted to alt.home.repair
MrMJPEG

But how do you know it is brass? I suppose, being a modern fixture it
would be made of a useful material that would ease installation. I
suppose I'll go with the copper female fitting I'm already using and
see if that passes inspection.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney

On 2005-11-29, MrMJPEG wrote:

But how do you know it is brass?

The body is either brass or iron. You could use a magnet to check.

Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair
MrMJPEG

I'll do that! If the magnet sticks I'll look in to a dielectric union.
If it doesn't I'm good to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

What the devil does allot mean?

Allot definition: 1- to assign as a share of portion ( 10 minutes for the

speech) 2- to distribute by or as if by lot ( hotel rooms to members of the
delegation) 3- More than you have put in

Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message
news
What the devil does allot mean?

Allot definition: 1- to assign as a share of portion ( 10 minutes for the

speech) 2- to distribute by or as if by lot ( hotel rooms to members of
the
delegation) 3- More than you have put in

Oh, okay. In the context of your statement, shouldn't it have been 'a lot',
as in many?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"MrMJPEG" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'll do that! If the magnet sticks I'll look in to a dielectric union.
If it doesn't I'm good to go.

I really don't know wouldn't the chrome be magnetic ?