Posted to alt.home.repair
C. Massey

Default Fence/Gate repair

We have several small puppies that keep getting out of the backyard by
getting through the gate.

We have a chain link fence and the area they are escaping at, has a corner
post, about 20 feet of fence then a gate that is right next to the house.
Due to the ground settling, the corner posts leans in towards the house a
little bit, but it is enough to cause problems opening the gate.

They were digging under the gate, so I finally dug a trench under the gate
and filled it in with concrete that hopefully is dig proof. I have adjusted
the gate where the space between the gate and the posts are pretty well even
and the bottom of the gate has minimal clearance.

I just walked out there and looked. It looks as though they got out between
the gate and the post just as the gate makes the radius from the bottom
going up. I found a chunk of concrete and (hopefully) blocked the small
hole.

This is a rent house, so I can spend much money, as in replacing the fence
or anything like that. Currently we have several puppies that we are about
to get rid of. If it were the adult dogs, I would invest in the gizmo where
you bury the wire and it gives them a little jolt if the get to close. But
with the puppies, that would be toooooo many collars to buy!

Any suggestions?

Thanks...

Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Taylor

"C. Massey" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

I dig a square-shaped trench under the gate, post to post, and lay in large
bricks, cast concrete stepping stones, or cinder blocks. Fast and easy, and
cinderblocks can be scrounged almost anywhere. You could also buy dog
repellent spray or cayenne pepper powder, to dress the top of the bricks.
Electricity is a costly and attracts litigious lawyers, if children are
around.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young

Laying timbers such as crossties along the bottom of the fence will prevent
them from digging under or escaping through openings near the bottom. Cement
blocks will also work. If your gate is a problem, consider placing the
barriers on the other side.
Don Young
. com...