DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Dishwasher with water in the bottom (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/133163-dishwasher-water-bottom.html)

KD November 28th 05 12:12 AM

Dishwasher with water in the bottom

Hi folks:

The last couple of cycles, I've noticed that my dishwasher hadn't done as
good a job as usual on a few pieces, but didn't think much of it. Tonight
though, as I'm filling 'er up I happened to notice that there's a bit of
water in the bottom. Just a smidgen, at the lower part of the bottom where
there's a screen, which in theory filters out some of the gunk before it
runs down the pipes.

Does this suggest a clog? If I run my dishwasher now, will I get a flood?
And if it IS a clog, is this a DIY job or is professional help required?

Thanks

KD

Edwin Pawlowski November 28th 05 12:53 AM

"KD" wrote in message

The last couple of cycles, I've noticed that my dishwasher hadn't done as
good a job as usual on a few pieces, but didn't think much of it. Tonight
though, as I'm filling 'er up I happened to notice that there's a bit of
water in the bottom. Just a smidgen, at the lower part of the bottom where
there's a screen, which in theory filters out some of the gunk before it
runs down the pipes.

Could be a glog, could be a weak pump, could be too short a time on the
timer.

Does this suggest a clog? If I run my dishwasher now, will I get a flood?
And if it IS a clog, is this a DIY job or is professional help required?

There is a safety switch to prevent overfilling so you should not get a
flood.
For more information, try www.applianceaid.com or www.repairclinic.com

[email protected] November 28th 05 01:00 AM

Dishwasher with water in the bottom

Our GE had to have two flapper valves replaced.
Several theories were tested.
Local water has so much trash in it that the rubber-like valves were
destroyed.
TB

mm December 1st 05 06:45 AM

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 00:12:42 GMT, "KD" wrote:

Hi folks:

The last couple of cycles, I've noticed that my dishwasher hadn't done as
good a job as usual on a few pieces, but didn't think much of it. Tonight
though, as I'm filling 'er up I happened to notice that there's a bit of
water in the bottom. Just a smidgen, at the lower part of the bottom where
there's a screen, which in theory filters out some of the gunk before it
runs down the pipes.

Does this suggest a clog? If I run my dishwasher now, will I get a flood?

Dopn't know about all brands but mine turns off the water when it is
full enough. No flood, unless that part is broken too.

When my Kenmore wouldn't pump out, it was a tiny chicken bone in the
air gap. I still don't know how that kept it from pumping, but it
did. it was half of the bone that parallels the big drumstick bone.

And if it IS a clog, is this a DIY job or is professional help required?

Thanks

KD

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert December 1st 05 02:13 PM

Dishwasher with water in the bottom

Dishwasher can get plugged by food. It typically should empty
completely. Remove screen and clean out particles with spoon, or wet
vac. Be sure to run garbage grinder a few befor eyou start the
dishwasher (if you have one) to clean out any food buildup.

CL

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door() into
the sheepfold{}, but climbeth up some other *way, the same is a thief
and a robber."

GnuPG Key Fingerprint:
82A6 8893 C2A1 F64E A9AD 19AE 55B2 4CD7 80D2 0A2D

nospambob December 1st 05 08:09 PM

Dishwasher with water in the bottom

My understanding is the small amount of water in the bottom is
designed to keep the internal parts of the pump from drying out.
Operative word is "small"

ameijers December 1st 05 11:11 PM

Dishwasher with water in the bottom

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...
"KD" wrote in message

(snip)

There is a safety switch to prevent overfilling so you should not get a
flood.

Yeah, that was what I thought, too. Fortunately, I noticed in time to
prevent a major flood. Ended up siphoning out the water. Said the hell with
it, based on age and expected remaining lifespan, and replaced the whole
thing.

aem sends....