Posted to alt.home.repair
Rob Reali

Default Home Addt. - 1st Step?

We're looking at adding a second floor to our home, however I have no idea
where to begin or what the costs might even be.......an architect or a
contractor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

You should start with the architect, as in almost all cases you're
going to need a set of plans with an architect's seal to get a building
permit. The architect is the guy who knows design so the addition
looks good, is functional, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Rob Reali wrote:
We're looking at adding a second floor to our home, however I have no
idea where to begin or what the costs might even be.......an
architect or a contractor?

Architect first.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Rob Reali" wrote in message
We're looking at adding a second floor to our home, however I have no idea
where to begin or what the costs might even be.......an architect or a
contractor?

Neither. First, find out if it is allowed under your local zoning and or
building codes. Then talk to an architect. You may want to talk to
contractors to see if they are interested in doing the job as a time saver
for later though.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kathy

"Rob Reali" wrote in message
We're looking at adding a second floor to our

home, however I have no idea
where to begin or what the costs might even

be.......an architect or a
contractor?

Engineer first to see if what you have can carry a
second floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus

No no...first thing is to rent and view "Mr. Blandings Builds His
Dreamhouse" (1948) with Cary Grant and Myrna Loy. Then decide whether
you want the lintels between the lally columns rabbeted.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mwlogs

Not sure where you live, but you could contact a couple builder/remodelers
and have them give you some idea what it would cost.

I added a second floor to my home in Ohio 25 years ago. I started out
planning to have it done entirely by a contractor, but when their cost came
in well above what I could afford, I used the ideas they'd presented and
hired a guy to help with the heavy stuff and did all the finish, electric,
plumbing, etc. myself.

Of course I had all the necessary permits and all, so everything was done to
code (or better).

"Rob Reali" wrote in message
We're looking at adding a second floor to our home, however I have no idea
where to begin or what the costs might even be.......an architect or a
contractor?

Posted to alt.home.repair
MasterBlaster

"Rob Reali" wrote

We're looking at adding a second floor to our home, however I have no
idea where to begin or what the costs might even be.......an architect
or a contractor?

Scrape off half the paint, let the yard grow wild, and put on some ratty clothes.
Then get out the video camera, make a really pitiful tape of yourselves, and send
it to "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition". They'll build you a new house, free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It also might help if you throw some car parts all over the lawn.
The more rust the better!

Little Guy Wins Against Hone Depot Lee Michaels Woodworking 69 February 24th 05 07:06 PM
Home Depot Scorns Christian Groups Ben Siders Woodworking 63 August 26th 04 02:52 PM
Your changing tax life: Owning a home Ablang Home Ownership 0 February 9th 04 01:59 AM
Old Man Winter Will Hit Us Tonight! Maryjoe Home Repair 29 February 2nd 04 06:26 AM
Factory built home vs. traditional site built home Todd Home Ownership 10 January 9th 04 01:23 PM