Posted to alt.home.repair
stevie

Default GE smoothtop

My GE smoothtop range has an intermittent problem.

Occasionally, when using the oven, the oven will turn off. The top burners
are not affected.

When this happens, the oven turns off and the clock starts blinking and
displays the incorrect time. The problem is very intermittent, but on
Thanksgiving day I had to start the oven 4 or 5 times. After restarting the
last time, it never cut off again (it was set to 350). Broiler was not
used.

This range has the electronic oven controls and was purchased in 1998. The
repairman says he has to see the problem occur before he can fix it. But I
never know when the problem will happen and I am unable to make it fail.

Any ideas on what could be causing this??

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark

i think (i'm not sure) that the stove top woorks without the computer.

The clock timer and oven use the computer... so it seems you have a
problem with the computer which could be almost anything but is likely
a bad solder joint or loose connection someplace.

Mark